What Breed of Dog Should I Get

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kaustin95, May 24, 2015.

1. kaustin95

kaustin95 New Member

Hi everyone! So, I just moved into my first apartment a few months ago and the building that I live in is pet-friendly. I am a big dog person and would love to get a dog. I have a roommate and she is also excited about having a dog, but we're a little apprehensive about it because as a kid she was allergic to dogs. She hasn't had any bad reactions to being around or touching dogs in the last ten years, but we still need to take precautionary measures when getting a dog that's going to be living with us. I know that there are some breeds that are hypoallergenic, would it be okay for someone who is allergic to dogs to be around these breeds? If so, what breeds are hypoallergenic? Thanks!

kaustin95, May 24, 2015
  2. kaustin95

claudine Well-Known Member

Yorkshire Terriers are said to be hypoallergenic. I'm a Yorkie owner myself and I had allergies when I was a child. Now, I'm healthy. I spend a lot of time with my dog:)
    But of course I can only speak for myself. Every allergy is different.

claudine, May 25, 2015
  3. kaustin95

Pshaw Bradley Member

Maltese and shih-tzu. I was surprised that these sorts of dogs are hypoallergenic, I would think quite the opposite and go with a labrador if it was me. I would be dead wrong, though.

You would be better off with a smaller dog in an apartment, anyway. Labradors and the like will tail-whip your knick knacks into dust.

Pshaw Bradley, May 25, 2015
  4. kaustin95

I didn't know that Malteses are hypoallergenic too! This is a wonderful news:D Maybe I'll get a Maltese in the future. They're such adorable, little things, I love them:) Most of my family members have allergies, so I have to be very careful with choosing a dog.

claudine, May 25, 2015
  5. kaustin95

Trellum Well-Known Member

I think your roomate would be safe with a little maltese dog. What about a Mal-Shi?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A mal-shi is a mix between a maltese dog and a Shi itzu.

Trellum, May 27, 2015
  6. kaustin95

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Trellum, where do you get these pics? These pictures are adorable. Now you have me wanting to go wash this little Ginger and try to get her a good looking pic. I am so unfamiliar with breeds. Shi itzu? Can I even pronounce it? You always provide me with new insights.

Winterybella, May 27, 2015
  7. kaustin95

Trellum, those Mal-Shis are super cute! Awwwww:) I'd love to have a dog like this. They're so fluffy! But are they really hypoallergenic? I thought that only pure breeds are.

claudine, May 28, 2015
Ask a Question