What breed have you always wanted to own?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by kinser, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

I would really love to have a Doberman. I like big dogs, and I love the fact that they can be trained not to bark. My Lab/Rott mix looks a lot like a Doberman with unaltered ears and tail, but he's such a loud-mouth, LOL. I have two big dogs now and am definitely not in the market for any more, but if I ever get another dog, I think I would love to get a Doberman. How about you?

kinser, Apr 15, 2012
  2. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I always watned a rottweiler. I settled for a rottweiler mix and although he's a bit insane I do love him!

MakingCents, Apr 15, 2012
  3. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

I used to have a dog with mix breed of Doberman and she is really naturally behaved and intelligent. ;)
    I am not really into a specific breed, just prefer medium built dog with short hair/fur.

zararina, Apr 16, 2012
  4. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Same here. I had a Doberman before and of all the dogs I have ever had, it was the easiest to train. I was really sad that I had to give it away when I went on an assignment that took me away for quite some time.

Victor Leigh, Apr 16, 2012
  5. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

LOL, my Rott mix is insane too. We sometimes joke that he is an alien, like the alien "dog" from Lilo and Stitch because he acts so odd. But he is definitely the most intelligent dog I've ever encountered. Unfortunately, he is mixed with a Lab, so he is a barker. My friend who owns a purebred Rott says that he never barks.

kinser, Apr 16, 2012
  6. kinser

haopee Well-Known Member

I'm a toy breed person because I doubt big breeds can fit on my bed. I am also curious how it would feel to be an owner of a basset hound because I like their personality.

If I were to have a big breed, I suppose it would be a Great Dane but I'm pretty sure my vet and food bills will shoot up the roof since I already have 4 dogs in my stead.

haopee, Apr 17, 2012
  7. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

I actually don't have a brand I have always wanted. We always end up with mutts and I'm quite happy with that.

My mom seems to want a Corgi, though, and I just don't see the appeal, to be honest.

Jessi, Apr 17, 2012
  8. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

Ugh, you're definitely right about big dogs being expensive to feed. I spend about $100 a month feeding my two large-breed dogs. It makes me question why I didn't go smaller, LOL. The only little breed I'd want is a Yorkie, as they tend not to be "yappers".

kinser, Apr 18, 2012
  9. kinser

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I have wanted a dalmatian since I was 2, ever since 101 Dalmatians. I am just fascinated with them and love the spots, especially how they are born all white and then you never really know where or how many spots they will end up having.

dkramarczyk, Apr 18, 2012
  10. kinser

Alternatively you can get a Shih Tzu. They make great lap dogs. I mean they really just sit there on your lap. No kidding.

Victor Leigh, Apr 19, 2012
  11. kinser

Jalisa7 Member

To be honest I've never thought about any other breed... I've always been kinda obsessed with beagles. But now that I finally have one, I have been eyeing different breeds for my next dog (whenever that will be.) I'd love to have an all black GSD. I'm also very interested in Canaan dogs. A few others on my list are: Brazilian terrier, dalmatian, corgi (doesn't matter which) and rotties. Oh, and border collies! I'd love to have a super smart dog that I can train to do anything! LOL.

Jalisa7, Apr 30, 2012
  12. kinser

Smartee Member

I love big dogs as well! I have always wanted a Weimaraner. They are so beautiful. They seem like that have good temperaments too, like they would be a good family dog.
    I also really love Great Danes. We almost got one once, but he was so expensive we had to pass. They are great dogs though. An old neighbor of mine had 2 and they were the sweetest dogs. I just loved them.
    Oh I love Boxers too! They are so playful and cute, and they are a great family dog! My best friend has one and she is truly one of the best dogs (aside from mine, LOL)

Smartee, Apr 30, 2012
  13. kinser

If you get a Weimaraner, you are likely to get a dog that sticks to you like a shadow. That's what they are supposed to do. If you are not at home a lot, a Weimaraner is not the dog for you. If you are a homebody, then it makes a great companion.

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
  14. kinser

tajnz Well-Known Member

I've always had a soft spot for pugs, although I've never owned one. Perhaps I like them as their temperament reminds me a little of my own personality. I admit they're adorable too! Especially their curly little tails. There's actually a pug rescue group in my city and so maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to adopt one.

A few years ago I used to time my walks in the hope I would run into one of my neighbours, who tended to walk his pug at the same time each evening.:D I never got up the courage to talk to the owner though or ask to pat his pug.:oops: I hope he didn't realize I was "stalking" his pug.

tajnz, Jun 2, 2012
  15. kinser

I had the same urge like you did to touch a pug. And one day I managed to do it. I was shopping at the wet market and there was this lady carrying her pug in her arms. I asked for permission to touch her pug and she agreed. The skin, with its short fur felt very different. Now I can understand why she was hugging her pug.

Victor Leigh, Jun 4, 2012
  16. kinser

tajnz Well-Known Member

Hi Victor thanks for replying. It's always nice to have a conversation with someone who loves dogs and pugs just as much as I do. :D

What a lovely story. Perhaps next time I see a friendly looking person out with their pug I'll politely ask to pat it too. Yes, their fur has a different texture to other breeds. Oh and that's another bonus about pugs they are small enough to hold or carry. The dog in my avatar is Rosie my childhood pet she was half Chihuahua and half Corgi and loved to be carried.

tajnz, Jun 4, 2012
  17. kinser

You really must find an opportunity to do that. The skin of a pug is soft and shaggy without being hairy. The texture is such that you just can't resist wanting to pull at it much like the same way you feel like pinching the cheeks of a chubby baby.

Victor Leigh, Jun 5, 2012
    tajnz likes this.
  18. kinser

amanda New Member

I have always wanted to own a saint bernard. They are my favorite dogs in the world. I love there thick beautiful fur. The fact that they drool does not bother me though. I suppose that would bother some people but not me. I would want a saint bernard no matter what.

amanda, Jan 18, 2013
  19. kinser

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

My family & I have always adopted dogs/cats that needed homes, or we got from shelters & myself, the same applies. I love all dogs, cats, etc, so I look for the animals need & Bobbi fit the bill. I had to consider size in this case as I do live upstairs. Smokee was a neighborhood stray - rest in furever peace, my smokee-dokee.....

SweetBeast, Jan 27, 2013
  20. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I had to comment. We have a cat named smokey and we call here moke-doke. Too funny we use the same nickname for our animals named smokey.

MakingCents, Jan 28, 2013
Ask a Question