What Are Your Favorite Dog Charities?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by OhioTom76, Sep 8, 2012.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of http://www.seeingeye.org/, they are a charity for dogs for the blind. With all of the animal abuse occurring, sometimes it helps to take a step back and show people how important our relationship with dogs can be. It's such a wonderful thing to see a dog become a companion to someone who is blind.

I don't know if they still do this, because I haven't been able to donate in recent years, but they used to send out a book about what they do to their donors which was really nice.

Incidentally, I got into this organization because I majored in photography and I love dogs. Something just kind of affected me that people who are blind don't get to experience visual arts and miss out on something that has had a deep effect on me growing up.

OhioTom76, Sep 8, 2012
  2. OhioTom76

claudine Well-Known Member

I like http://www.pmiska.pl/. It's a polish site, you just need to click on the picture of the dog and you can do it only once a day. It's free. When there be enough clicks, the sponsors will give food to the dogs from a shelter.

claudine, Sep 8, 2012
  3. OhioTom76

Melody Well-Known Member

Those sounds like wonderful charities! My favorite charity is the Handicapped Pets Foundation. They donate dog and cat wheelchairs to to pets in families who cannot afford them. I know about this charity first hand because my dog, Sierra, was a beneficiary. She was able to use a wheelchair the last 4-6 weeks of her life because of the foundation and a fundraiser by an elementary school in Oklahoma.

What's really neat about the program it is designed so you pay it forward. When you don't need the wheelchair anymore, you must donate it to another dog as part of the agreement.

When Sierra died, I donated the wheelchair to another dog I found out about through my veterinary office. Unfortunately, that dog died before it could make use of the chair. But, that family donated the chair to a dog in Southern California that had been hit by a car and paralyzed in the back end. The family either did not want to or could not afford to pay for treatment. After letting the dog suffer for two weeks, they surrendered it to a shelter. A dog rescue group got involved, paid for the necessary surgery, and then for the rehabilitation. Sierra's wheelchair was sent to this dog to help him out. You should see how happy the dog was to be able to move on wheels! So, one donated wheelchair can affect a few lives.

Melody, Sep 8, 2012
  4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. There's a cat at the cat shelter I volunteer at who uses one of these, it kind of make me laugh almost because she zips around with it like everything is fine. I didn't even know they made these, as I could have used one years ago when my dog injured her leg and had to get surgery on it. We were carrying her around all the time.

OhioTom76, Sep 9, 2012
  5. OhioTom76

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

I love my local SPCA! I've always had a heart for animals and supported the SPCA when I could, but when I got a dog of my own I really started getting involved. I've volunteered with them numerous times. We participate in their doggy party days and of course I wear their t-shirts and help spread the word! They do such an amazing job and I'm so glad they are here to help our little four legged friends!!

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 12, 2012
Ask a Question