Walking the dog on hot concrete

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Corzhens, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

There are some dog walkers in our village who do not choose the ground where their dog would walk. When it rained, the dog would be walking on muddy roads and it seems the owner does not care as long as their dog gets the exercise. Another time, it was almost noon time and the asphalt was obviously hot and there I saw the dog on a leash pulled by the owner as if it was a healthy exercise.

In times like those, I couldn't restrain myself from calling the attention of the owner because I pity the dog. Naturally the dog couldn't complain but I can imagine the painful paws walking on hot concrete.

Corzhens, Apr 27, 2016
  2. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I can clearly see the situation in my mind! I feel for those dogs that have to walk the hot concrete! That is just awful. They made all kind of shoes for dogs nowadays, and if they can't afford to buy them, it would be best if they take this hot/cold temperature into consideration.

IcyBC, Apr 27, 2016
  3. Corzhens

remnant Well-Known Member

My felicitations to you for your empathetic heart. I also come from a similar forte. I effortlessly place myself in animal's shoes and even go to the extent of alerting the dog owner of his pet's discomfort. Sometime ago, I saw a dog running after its owner who was on a bicycle far from home. The poor pet could not catch up. Due to his loyalty, he couldn't admit to his exhaustion.

remnant, May 2, 2016
  4. Corzhens

Trellum Well-Known Member

Me and my mom were just outside in the car, it was hot, but not so hot and we saw a person walking his dog in the sun... hot concrete. I told my mother that is so cruel, and she agreed. If the concrete is hot enough dogs can suffer burns. Poor things! They can't say a thing, some people lack so much common sense :(

Trellum, May 2, 2016
  5. Corzhens

brooklyn218 Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for protecting dog's paws on hot asphalt and such?
    We are relocating to Florida and I never want to hurt my dogs. (We live in bitter cold Cleveland so they all have snow boots for winter walks to protect from ice and salt!)
    We love walks and want our walks to be safe and healthy! Any products or tips would be appreciated!

brooklyn218, May 2, 2016
  6. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

Brooklyn281, I'm looking for tips on this as well.
    My Homer walks wherever he wants to and he sometimes chooses to walk on hot asphalt. I don't know why he does that, but it worries me. I don't want him to get hurt.

claudine, May 9, 2016
  7. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

There are all types of dog boots for both winter and summer online stores that you could buy. Personally, I would check the concrete by placing my hands on the concrete to feel how hot it is before letting Capone out. Another way I can tell if it is too hot is to take him outside for a while, and if he is huffing and puffing just to be out there, then we won't go on a walk until the temperature cools off.

I found few sites for your reference: http://www.mypawsitivelypets.com/2014/05/4-ways-to-protect-your-dogs-paws-from.html
    https://www.thedodo.com/how-to-tell-if-the-pavement-is-too-hot-for-your-dogs-feet-1242363093.html
    http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/4_1/features/The-Best-and-Worst-Dog-Boots_5020-1.html

IcyBC, May 22, 2016
  8. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

I prefer not to think what Homer would do if I dared to put shoes on his paws. I bet he would absolutely hate it:p Fortunately, he loves summer and hot weather. I often see him sunbathing on the sidewalk near our house.

claudine, May 22, 2016
  9. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well I spoke here about a scolding I got from a guy many months ago when I took Zola to the mini mart just across the street from me. While it was mostly grass, she had to end up on hot concrete and I could tell by a few looks that something wasn't right. The thing is I only brought her because she wanted to come with me not even realising what a problem this could be for her until a young man suggested I was doing her harm. I was actually embarrassed that I did not know and that he was not very discreet.

To the matter of the shoes, I do have some pretty pink shoes but I don't think any of the girls would like them. Last I remember both Zola and Remy protested. I suspect Ginger would bite them off.

Winterybella, May 22, 2016
Ask a Question