Veterinarian Shares Personal Story of Having His Own Dog Put to Sleep

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, May 15, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

When I stood surrounded by a group of sobbing people, I would softly remark, "I understand." But I didn't truly understand. I had never experienced the same kind of loss.
    Veterinarians are faced daily with the difficult choice of euthanasia. It's our role to guide owners to a decision that's in the best interest of their pets while helping them come to terms with the passing of their beloved family member.

August 4 th, 2011 started out like any other day. My morning clinics were interrupted by a phone call from my wife Eileen.

"Rufus didn't eat breakfast," she said.

"Bring him to the hospital," I answered.

More...

Trellum, May 15, 2014
  2. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

It was really sad to know and see a loved fur friend or baby leaving. I cannot explain the hurt. I have experienced that several times.

zararina, May 15, 2014
  3. Trellum

Yeah, it's always hard to see a pet go :( A loved pet... I saw a lot of my chickens die, same with some kittens and a dog. It's so hard to see them go, but it's part of life. Actually having a pet taught me about death when I was younger, I'm thankful for that, because seeing that happen with a loved (human one) is s hard already! Specially the first time, so pets help a lot with that.

Trellum, May 28, 2014
  4. Trellum

wahmed Active Member

That is so sad. It just goes to show that you cannot really know grief until youve felt it

wahmed, Mar 18, 2015
  5. Trellum

Yeah, it's like someone trying to explain what a tooth ache or birth pain feels like, but the other person won't really get it until that person experiences it on its own flesh. Similar when you lose a loved one, like for example a relative or a very loved pet.

Trellum, Apr 12, 2015
  6. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

That is so sad and I hope I won't face this situation any time soon in the future! That isn't an easy decision to make even if we know it is the best for our pet. The mourning period would be devastating for the family, and nothing can fill that empty feeling for a long time.

IcyBC, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Trellum

I think this is one of the worst nightmares for most pet owners, having to say good bye to their friend :( I think it's so sad, but sometimes it's necessary to put them to sleep if they are suffering a lot. We had to do that when I was little, is never easy to explain that to a small kid.

Trellum, Aug 28, 2015
Ask a Question