Vet visits

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

How does your dog handle vet visits? Is s/he calm and friendly or does s/he freak out?

Ours doesn't really go that often and is on the older side now, so he's not exactly thrilled with the idea of being taken to see strangers. He hasn't bitten one, but they did muzzle him the last time, just in case, because they were going to mess with his feet and he has pain there, so it was on the cautionary side.

Jessi, Dec 4, 2012
  2. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka's pretty good with vet visits. The last one I suggested to the vet to use a muzzle but the vet decided to see how she went and all was fine. On a previous visit when Mishka dislocated her back leg, she had a go at the vet who was manipulating the leg. I guess that was to be expected but from then on I've warned all the vets that she may snap.

argon_0, Dec 4, 2012
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised by that. Many vets would rather be safe than sorry. They take enough bites accidentally without taking on the risk after being warned. Was it the same vet who had dealt with her dislocated leg? Maybe she realized it had been extenuating circumstances?

Jessi, Dec 4, 2012
  4. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer doesn't like the vet and isn't very friendly, but being there doesn't freak him out. He is more scared of the car:p . When we are at the vet, he is so interested in others animals that he forgets about everything:D .

claudine, Dec 4, 2012
  5. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

No we changed vets after that visit for the dislocated leg problem. The women vet is a bit gruff and we didn't like her smelly garage modified vet surgery.
    We decided to go to another many miles away, much cleaner and friendlier though heaps more expensive.
    Very recently, a lovely American or maybe Canadian woman vet (I must ask next time) started up a new practice much closer. She is also into environmental issues which made the switch much easier.
    Somehow you can tell quickly those vets who like their job and your pooch.

argon_0, Dec 5, 2012
    Jessi likes this.
  6. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

So true. It's similar to doctors for people, too. You can always tell the ones who have a genuine interest in helping you or your pet.....versus those who are simply there for a paycheck. I'm sure they all started with good intentions, but many of them get burned out and really don't seem to care any more.

Jessi, Dec 5, 2012
  7. Jessi

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether my dog has a bigger issue with the vet or with the car ride to the vet. By the time I actually arrive at the vet, he's already sick from being in the car - he likes to move around a lot and doesn't understand cars so he usually throws up at some point. But I don't think that he does anything out of the ordinary. He reacts well to people, as he's usually excited (sometimes even too excited) so he doesn't seem to have any problems with the vet. That is until they try to hold him to get anything done. I think that he hates the groomers more thought because when we go to the groomers, I actually have to leave him there and hear him crying.

bellahpereira, Dec 7, 2012
  8. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Actually, my main concern used to be how aggressive Buchi was with strangers. But surprisingly, when it comes to vet visits, they're like angels!

No squirming, no excessive barking, no aggression, just plain well-behaved attitude... You'd think they weren't the same dogs. Buchi doesn't even nip the guy's hand when he holds him to get the ears cleaned and ear hairs pulled.

haopee, Dec 7, 2012
  9. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Weird. Do you use the same vet and so they somewhat know them already now?

Or maybe they know that they always feel better after they leave the vet office, so they know it's a good place to go?

Jessi, Dec 7, 2012
  10. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Well, even in our first visit for a very long time (where the vet techs are no longer the same), Buchi really acts like an unbelievable angel.

I guess it's because he is in unfamiliar territory and he knows I won't back him up if he starts going aggressive on them. I noticed his reaction intensifies whenever he is placed in his cage...

When we are in the vet's office, I never baby him. The vets do that for me. I leave them to do their job so that Buchi doesn't get overly protective.

haopee, Dec 13, 2012
  11. Jessi

jose26425 Member

My dog is probably the most laid-back and "chill" dog I've ever met. When we head to the vet, he isn't excited about it, but reluctantly goes without any forcing. However, when picking him up from the vet, he is absolutely PISSED at us for days :) He refuses to come when he is called and will purposely not make eye contact with us. I guess that means that we were the ones in the dog house!

jose26425, Jun 12, 2013
  12. Jessi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog loves the vet. He pretty much loves to go anywhere where they pay attention to him. He gets a little defensive and territorial at the vet, so he has to go back int he exam room without us, but otherwise he's pretty well behaved.

MakingCents, Jun 12, 2013
  13. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog is afraid to go out so he will feel bit afraid to go to vets. But I think as long as one of us is there and will feel him he will be safe, he will behave well.

zararina, Jun 14, 2013
  14. Jessi

trishgl Well-Known Member

Chacha behaves well whenever we go for Vet visits. I read in an article that our pets pick up on what we feel so it’s imperative we stay calm. My hubby is the unflappable type so he has a calming effect on chacha wherever we go. I’m a worrier so even though I accompany my hubby and our chow on Vet visits I'm not the one holding her when she's on the examination table.

trishgl, Jun 17, 2013
Ask a Question