Trying to make the bed with a dog as your helper

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Today, I decided since it was windy and rainy it would be a good day to wash my bedding. No sense wasting a good sunny day for something like that.

So, I threw the blankets on the floor which is naturally a signal to Misha to run down the hall to see what I am doing. As I tried to pull off the sheet, she's on top of the bed playing the attack game. She helped me get my pillow case off by bouncing off the pillow as I was doing it.

Thankfully, she was in her own bed when I made the bed. Usually, she stands right on the sheet and I have to pull them with her on top. LOL

Oh, I guess I could close the door and keep her out. But, then, she would howl and whine and hit the door thinking I'm doing something secret. I guess it's more fun having her help me. LOL

Does your dog help you make the bed too?

Melody, Nov 8, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Misha just wants to be helpful.:) Oh so cute. :rolleyes:
    I guess she just feels like she doing the right thing, and for you, besides being a nuisance, probably makes you grin.:confused:

Mishka helps me light the fire box and put my socks on. Not sure why and I am patient with her most times. My wife makes the bed and I reckon she wouldn't tolerate such behaviour, being a school teacher, as I would. Mister softy.:rolleyes:

argon_0, Nov 9, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, as I said, I could have closed the door ;). She makes me laugh so I let her stay while I attempt to do this. It was not so funny the time she peed on my pile of blankets, though. That time, I only planned to wash the sheets. Oh well, the blankets always can use a wash. LOL

She was very funny when I was making the bed. I had the quilt on and was trying to straighten it out. I was making blanket waves and she would run to the end of the bed in fear. Then, when I let it down, she ran back and attacked the end I was holding. We played this game a few times.

Misha also "helps" me put on my shoes and socks. Mostly by hitting me on the back several times or attacking my hands as I try to pull my socks up.

She is great at the paper shredder, too. She's always ready to pick up a stray scrap of paper.

Melody, Nov 9, 2012
  4. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, I don't have any such luck. When I make my bed, I start by flapping the blanket. That makes a loud cracking sound. Candy would go out of the bedroom immediately and won't come back in until I have finished making the bed.

Victor Leigh, Nov 9, 2012
  5. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Oh yes. My Homer loves when I decide to wash my bedding. When he notices it, he instantly runs and jumps into the pile of used, dirty sheets that I intended to wash. He protects them like they were his and we always have a long fight before I succeed in putting them into the washing machine:p

claudine, Nov 9, 2012
  6. Melody

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My little dog does the exact same thing. I have to close the door with her out of the room for a few seconds then rush to make the bed, all the while she's crying that I left her out of the room. But she climbs on the bed when I try to make it otherwise, and will chase the sheets and attack them.

Nick87, Nov 9, 2012
  7. Melody

I think this 'helping' to make the bed thing is related to another game which dogs like to play very much. I am talking about tug-of-war. Candy plays tug-of-war with me very often using the broom as the rope. I have also seen dogs playing tug-of-war among themselves.

Victor Leigh, Nov 10, 2012
  8. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, I usually don't let my dogs near my bedding. However, I do understand about dogs wanting to play tug of war. When Oso was a puppy we bought him a toy rope to help strengthen his teeth. Problem with this when he got older and would see a broom or even a lease he thought it was time to start biting on them so he could play tug of war.

pafjlh, Nov 10, 2012
  9. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

So cute, my Homer did this all the time when he was a puppy! When he saw the broom he thought that it's an invitation to play:p Also, I usually keep the broom on a peg in the wall - Homer was playing tug-of-war with the wall many times:p Now the broom doesn't interest him anymore. It makes it easier to clean but less fun:(

claudine, Nov 10, 2012
  10. Melody

When I want to sweep the floor and Candy wants to play tug-of-war, I have a very simple solution. For some strange reason, Candy is afraid of heights. So I just put her on the table and she will sit in the middle, following me with her eyes only as I sweep the floor.

Victor Leigh, Nov 11, 2012
Ask a Question