Tricks

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by spence88, Apr 1, 2016.

1. spence88

spence88 Member

Hi guys, do you teach your dog tricks? My dog only knows basic tricks and commands like sit, stay, down, and go. The best trick he knows is the "wait" trick. What it does is we make him sit first, then put some food on his feet and say "wait". He will not eat it until we snap our fingers. Snapping of fingers is his cue. We often entertain our guests with that trick. I tried teaching him fetch, but failed! What he does is he will indeed get the toy, but will not return the toy and instead run away with it!

How about you? What kind of tricks do you teach your dogs?

spence88, Apr 1, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. spence88

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog knows a few tricks, such as turn around left, turn around right, jump, speak, roll over, hide! He is also great with the Wait command and we did the same as you. We will put treats in front of him and tell him to wait. He wouldn't eat it until we say it's ok.

I would love to teach him to crawl, and pick up his own toys, but I have no patience at this time :)

IcyBC, Apr 7, 2016
  3. spence88

spence88 Member

The "wait" command is a good enough trick to entertain our guests. It works everytime.

Nice! Your dog knows quite a handful of tricks. How did you teach him? I could have taught mine some more tricks as well but he's an adult now so it's going to be a lot harder. Is that true though?

spence88, Apr 7, 2016
  4. spence88

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm not proud of this, but Homer doesn't know any tricks. I tried to teach him to give paw, but he just doesn't want to do it. He doesn't listen to anyone:rolleyes:

claudine, Apr 7, 2016
  5. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah, Rafa too, he can be really stubborn sometimes. I don't really remember how we managed to teach him anything actually. Good thing he likes rewards so we can get him to obey sometimes. I really really want to teach him the "bang" or "play dead" trick but it seems impossible now.

spence88, Apr 7, 2016
  6. spence88

IcyBC Well-Known Member

You can still teach your adult dog, most dogs just love to please their human! I just treats and toy as a reward when I want my dog to learn something. Hand gesture in a circle with a treat inside the palm of your hand showed him what to do because he can smell the treat!

IcyBC, Apr 13, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  7. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah, dogs do adore their master! Thanks for the tip, actually I tried teaching him again before, but the "bang" or "play dead" trick is a fairly complicated trick so I don't know how to start properly. This is the last one I'd like him to learn! I'll try and look for a good strategy on how to teach this trick. I would be absolutely stoked if I manage to teach him that!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    spence88, Apr 13, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. spence88

remnant Well-Known Member

It is much easier to train a dog using the experiments coined by the Russian scientist called Pavlov. Repeated actions with attendant rewards would make any dog to learn a particular action. For example, if you ring a bell at a particular time and then signal the dog towards food, the pet will come to associate the ringing bell with food or will begin salivating at the sound of the same. This form of conditioning can be used to teach a dog many new tricks.

remnant, Apr 13, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. spence88

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog loves squeaky toys and of course, treats! If I bought him a new toy, he usually tried to please me and do what I asked of him, such as saying "I love you". He comes very close to it, but now he is lazy and won't say it anymore :)

IcyBC, Apr 26, 2016
  10. spence88

Corzhens Well-Known Member

It would be wonderful if our dogs would learn a trick or two that's why we allocated a budget for training. The trainer would come 3 times a week and train our 2 dogs - Pipoy the pug and Barbie the pekingese - for 1 hour each. The training was for 3 months. And when our dogs graduated, whoa, they already know the command "come" and "sit" and nothing more. That was 2 years ago and now they haven't improved on it. But it's all right, I still love our dogs even if they don't know any tricks. But they do know a lot of antics like Barbie who would lie on her back if she wants to be cuddled or Pipoy would pant and gasp if he wants to get out of the house.

Corzhens, Apr 27, 2016
Ask a Question