Treats?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jezebella, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Jezebella

Jezebella Member

Do you give your dog treats regularly? What treats do you give them? What behaviors do you give them treats for?

Jezebella, Jun 28, 2013
  2. Jezebella

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka has an activity ball that you place food rewards. Generally it's a couple of dry dog food pellets which she absolutely loves. We obviously buy a good one for her. The activity ball seems to be in play when we're cooking for some reason and she entertains herself around the living room and kitchen rolling it hoping a treat will emerge. She also gets one of those Denta stix when we have to go out leaving her at home. We call them stay at home sticks hoping she will be good while we're out.

argon_0, Jun 28, 2013
  3. Jezebella

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer gets treats a few times per day. I always give him something when I'm going out, this way I know that he won't be sad. Sometimes I give him something little without any special reason, simply to make him happy.
    His favorite treats are carrot slices and small pieces of bread.

claudine, Jun 28, 2013
  4. Jezebella

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka dislikes carrots but makes short work of apple. Whenever someone's eating one she hangs around to make sure she can have the core.Whenever I make coffee Mishka gets a splash of milk in her bowl.

argon_0, Jul 1, 2013
  5. Jezebella

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog get his treat always everyday, he is a good dog often. :p
    His treat is bread since it is his favorite food.

zararina, Jul 1, 2013
  6. Jezebella

Homer likes apples too. We have an apple tree in our garden and it produces plenty of fruits. Homer always hides some of them in the house. Sometimes it takes me more than a week to find them:eek:

claudine, Jul 2, 2013
  7. Jezebella

trishgl Well-Known Member

We give our dog treats when we want to train her to do something. We used it when we wanted her to learn the commands stay and sit as a puppy. I tried using the regular dog treats you buy at the store but she did not like any of them. We ended up using cooked chicken meat. Now however she's just as happy getting hugs or a tummy rub.

trishgl, Dec 13, 2013
  8. Jezebella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I always have a bag of those flavored dog sticks. I always give my dogs that whenever I want to pamper them :) It works greatly! I haven't tried other treats yet because my girls are way to picky! They also love eating sweet things, but I rarely give them something like that, since I know there are a lot things dogs shouldn't be eating.

Trellum, Dec 30, 2013
  9. Jezebella

I wanted to buy those flavored dog sticks, but I noticed that they contain a lot of preservatives and other weird ingredients. I don't think they're healthy:( In my opinion vegetables make a much better snack.
    Homer loves eating white, crunchy parts of salad.

claudine, Oct 21, 2014
  10. Jezebella

Yeah, I know :( It seems most of those things with a lot nasty chemicals, just like some foods for humans, that's why I stay away from very processed foods as much as possible, you did good, Claudine :)

Trellum, Oct 21, 2014
  11. Jezebella

I'm lucky, because Homer really loves vegetables. I don't know what would I do if he didn't like them. I guess I would just go to a pet store and buy him a few flavored dog sticks and other dog treats.
    I wish processed foods weren't so unhealthy:(

claudine, Oct 22, 2014
  12. Jezebella

Me too, Claudne :( Some processed foods are so tasty, hehehe, but I'm trying so hard to stay away from them, same for the doggies and the cat. hat isn't good for them isn't good for me either! I really think processed foods could be a bit less harmful, but those companies often pick the cheapest choices for everything, so they can maximize heir profit. That's the main issue and that's the reason I just don't trust them!

Trellum, Oct 23, 2014
  13. Jezebella

As far as I know, many store-bought dog treats contain addictive substances. This is why dogs love them so much and always want to eat them:( It's so awful!
    I prefer to prepare most treats by myself:) Fortunately, Homer isn't picky, so I don't need to have any special cooking skills.

claudine, Oct 23, 2014
Ask a Question