Travelling with your dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GavinMcresty, May 7, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

What experiences do you have of travelling with your dog? Do they enjoy it? Where have they been and how did you get there? Our dogs did not travel too far but we would take them by car to various places. They did not really mind it. They normally just went to sleep in the back until we arrived. Two of them tended to become very excited when parking because they became impatient. One would start barking and the other would start climbing around at the back of the car and scratching at the windows.

GavinMcresty, May 7, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

I tried it only once and I found out pretty quickly that Homer doesn't enjoy travelling at all. I wanted to take him by car to my grandparents. He started shaking almost immediately, he was terrified. In the beginning I was hoping that he'll get used to being in the car but it was worse and worse - the whole trip was a nightmare for both of us, I'll never do this again:(

claudine, May 7, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

MzMonka Well-Known Member

Mine will get in the car and go without an issue. If it is a long ride we stop often for potty breaks and they are well behaved for the most part. I have taken one from NY to Florida on an airplane for the opening of a new registry and show. She was not too happy about the flight but loved having her own bed in the hotel while we were down there.

MzMonka, May 7, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

Wow, travelling with a dog by aeroplane must be a great adventure! I wouldn't take Homer with me though, I would be afraid that other passengers might get annoyed because of his constant barking.
    Have your dogs enjoyed riding in a car from the beginning or maybe they got used to it with time?

claudine, May 23, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

zararina Well-Known Member

Our recent dog does not want to even go out of the gate. He was just adopted and used to be a stray dog. I was thinking that he might think he will be thrown away again when we bring him out of the gate so, he just like to stay inside.

zararina, May 27, 2013
  6. GavinMcresty

TheBrit Active Member

My Golden Retriever used to love car travel. When ever he realised that a day out in the car was being planned he wouldn't settle until he was allowed into the car. Everything else then was loaded around him, including the wife and kids.
    He was extremely placid in all aspects of his character except one. The car was his territory, no problem with any of the family but if anyone else came close, even people he knew well, to pet him while he was in the car he would snarl and even snap if they came too close.
    If I was doing any work on the car I had to make sure the window was open just enough to allow him to get his nose out, and warn anyone, especially children, to stay away.
    If I gave anyone a lift with him in the car no problem at all, just when he was the sole occupant.

TheBrit, May 28, 2013
  7. GavinMcresty

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I have big dogs so they usually fly pet express or something similar. I never fly more than 3 hours though and there are flight restrictions due to weather. As to traveling in the car I start them going out in the car usually around 4 months old. Some take to it right away, others not so much. Usually they have to ride in a kennel in the car until I know they are settled into traveling that way. I have one that has to be in a kennel in the car no matter what because she just drools the whole time. I will say though last weekend we had a show and she didn't drool at all, so 4 more trips without the drool and she can ride like the others do.

MzMonka, Jun 1, 2013
  8. GavinMcresty

haopee Well-Known Member

I once took a plane ride with Chooey. It drove her crazy. She was only about 7 months when I took her with me to live with my sister.

What surprised me was when we got here, she had grown warts in a week's time. Of course, we had them cauterized, but we still have no idea where she got it from. I was sure there weren't any other animals with her during our plane ride and my sister's dogs don't have visible signs of them either. She was kept isolated during that week so it's still a puzzle to me.

Has anybody experienced this before?

haopee, Jun 2, 2013
Ask a Question