Trained guard dog

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Is your dog trained to be an actual guard dog? Would s/he attack if there's an intruder or you gave it the command? Or do you just have companions who might bark if someone broke in and then would run away scared?

Jessi, Mar 29, 2012
  2. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not trained our dogs to be a guard dog but they knew their responsibilities. LOL
    Its their nature to bark at strangers and try to threaten those who will just to come in without permission. I used to have a dog that will really bite an intruder who will just open our gate without our knowledge. ;)

zararina, Mar 30, 2012
  3. Jessi

christina Member

I also haven't trained my dogs to be guard dogs. My Beagles are trained to hunt so they can hear the smallest sound and will go after it! Only the male dog would actually bite someone if they came in our yard. My Pitbull barks at noises but he doesn't really care. He is a big baby!

christina, Mar 31, 2012
  4. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Candy doesn't need any training. She knows what belongs to me. And god help anyone who wants to take them.

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
  5. Jessi

Luz Adolfo Member

I been a dog lover for a long time and when you have different breed of dogs in your home, you can observe each dog's personality, Yes they do have a personality and each one of them is unique if you really got to know them very well. Some personality were innate and some were develop during puppy-hood.

What is a Guard dog? In my definition guard dog's are those are capable to of alerting and defending he's master and the best breed of dog for me who can do that task is a German Shepherd. Why?

German Shepherd's are guard dog in nature, they are very well built and with strong sense of danger. If you don't believe me then please try it your self.

Luz Adolfo, Apr 2, 2012
  6. Jessi

The German Shepherd is a good all-rounder.

However if what you are looking for is a personal canine bodyguard, the best bet is a Doberman. This breed was the direct result of a tax collector's desire to have a dog that can protect him on his tax collecting rounds. It doesn't have pack instincts like other dogs. It's one and only purpose in life is to protect its owner.

The downside is that it only recognizes one owner. I have heard of one Doberman owner who scolded his son and the dog immediately attacked the son thinking that it's a threat to its owner. btw Dobermans can be trained not to bark. So they won't give any warning. When the threat is within striking distance, they just go for the throat. Did I mention that a full-grown Doberman can tower over an average man when it's standing up on its hind legs? Just look at this beauty:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Apr 3, 2012
    kinser likes this.
  7. Jessi

kinser Well-Known Member

My two dogs are not trained to attack, but they are very protective by nature (I have a German shepherd and a Lab/Rott mix). I have no doubt they would protect my family and home if either were in danger.

kinser, Apr 15, 2012
  8. Jessi

I always thought the same thing, too, until I had a talk with a veteran dog trainer. It seems that dogs, generally speaking, are wary of attacking people. They may growl and bark but, unless they are actually trained to do so, they don't really attack.

Victor Leigh, Apr 16, 2012
Ask a Question