Train at home or professional training?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by dashboardc33, Oct 7, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

I have a question for you all. Do you prefer to train a puppy at home, or do you prefer professional training? Even though you may be a good dog trainer, you may prefer professional training because your dog is working with someone that they don't know and may listen a little bit better.

I chose to train my dog at home and wish I would have went in for professional classes. Oh well, at least I'll know for next time!

dashboardc33, Oct 7, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

I prefer to train my Homer at home, but I'm terrible at it I guess because even though I'm doing my best, he still is the naughties dog in the world. But he is also the cutest:p . I love him so much that I'm not objective:p . Maybe I should think about professional training. The problem is, Homer really doesn't like strangers.

claudine, Oct 8, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I have never used a professional trainer, and I think my dogs turned out fine. They seem to respond and understand who their family are and listen to us. Well, for the most part, Buddy at times can still get a bit out of control. But I have never seen any reason to use a professional trainer, I think dogs respond better to their owners, and learn better from them. But that's just my own personal experience in this matter.

pafjlh, Oct 8, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

We have only trained at home.

I feel like part of the dog training process is also training the owners. If you have someone else doing it, it's not quite as involved on the owner side and may not "stick"as well, if you know what I mean.

Jessi, Oct 9, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

We trained Trixie at home. However, some professional training might have helped stop the blank stare she sometimes gives when we say "let's go outside." In a way, both are very helpful.

pilot2fly, Oct 9, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

House training but I do want to try puppy training classes. It's definitely different when you get to socialize with other pups so that your dog not only gets trained properly but he's also socialized at an early age.

haopee, Oct 10, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

lizzie29 Member

I prefer training my dog at home rather than getting a professional trainer. I actually like spending a lot of quality time with my dog. Discipline and tricks may be hard to teach at first but I got through it and I really loved the results. I trained my dog when she was still a puppy because they said it's better to train a dog while she's still young. I still actually keep teaching her new tricks whenever I play or spend time with her. :)

lizzie29, Oct 10, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Socializing is good. It's unfortunate Trixie never really got to socialize with other dogs. She does get to at the vet, but I don't think she spends that time socializing.

pilot2fly, Oct 10, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

We trained them a bit at home, mostly just to not do their business in the house - which they were really good about. My sister tried to train them to do tricks and such, but I never really got into all that. I enjoyed their personalities just the way they were. Of course a dog will do some random trick for a treat, doesn't mean they enjoy doing it in general.

OhioTom76, Oct 12, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

Yeah Trixie never really did tricks. Shih Tzu's are extremely stubborn, and Trixie is one of them. She has an interesting personality, though.

pilot2fly, Oct 12, 2012
Ask a Question