To breed or not to breed

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

When I first bought my dog, breeding never crossed my mind. I was looking for a friend and I found one.

My uncle on the other hand use to breed Chow Chows, and he made good money on them. I've talked to several people on breeding dogs, and some are totally into the science and different methodology on proper breeding techniques and so forth. All this time I thought it was simple nature at work. Just let them do what animals do and you have babies. Isn't that what it is, or did money making turn it into a complicated science project?

JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014
  2. JoshPosh

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Funny how I asked this "EXACT" question of a group of friends elsewhere and received mixed responses. I think we mostly agreed that it's not a matter to be taken likely. It's an expense the breeder should be willing to undertake in the best interest of the dog and it's pups.

Suggestions were put forward for and against breeding. The link below provides useful information.

http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=14[/quote]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    Winterybella, Nov 11, 2014
  3. JoshPosh

claudine Well-Known Member

I would be more than happy if my Homer had children. I wouldn't sell them, I would keep them:) I'm sure they would be super adorable! Unfortunately, Homer doesn't seem to be interested in females. Usually, he just ignores them.

claudine, Nov 20, 2014
  4. JoshPosh

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well I have been approached by my brother who wants my Zola to have babies for a fine young Jack Russell he has. I told him I was not keen but he keeps insisting. How do you tell your brother no? I am not sure what I will do. He has been breeding dogs from as far back as I can remember but I was never really involved although the same Zola was as a result of one of his Jacks mixing with my Chihuahua. Since I have been learning more about dogs, I have mixed feelings about breeding. "To breed or not to breed" is my big question.

Winterybella, Jan 3, 2015
  5. JoshPosh

mkCampbell Active Member

I don't think I would breed any of my dogs as they are all full-breed, some with papers, but they are all rescue dogs as well - so I always point people to shelters or rescues. On the other hand I have many, many friends who are hunters and they often breed their dogs. And these guys are not hunters for sport like Bambi. They mostly hunt wild hogs who are taking over many areas in the rural south. So these guys need the best of the best when it comes to a hunting dog.

mkCampbell, Feb 18, 2015
  6. JoshPosh

Adopting a rescued dog is a beautiful thing to do, MkCampbell:) There are so many dogs in this world that need our help! I wish I could do something for them too. Unfortunately, my father, my sister and I all suffer from allergies. This is the main reason why we bought a Yorkshire Terrier instead of taking a puppy from a shelter. Like I mentioned in another thread, Yorkies are hypo-allergenic:)

claudine, Feb 18, 2015
    mkCampbell likes this.
  7. JoshPosh

mkCampbell Active Member

Thanks Claudine, all of our dogs over the years have been rescues except one. My picture of my Golden is my buddy Moses. We just lost him this winter to thyroid problems. That's why he as in a rescue is because his old owners did not want to pay for his meds which was one pill a day at about 70 cents each! We got him and immediately had his meds back in line and he lived with us for ten wonderful years! Well worth 70 cents a day!

mkCampbell, Mar 6, 2015
  8. JoshPosh

I'm very sorry for your loss! But I'm sure that those ten years were beautiful and Moses felt very happy and safe with you. If my Homer was sick, I'd spend all my money on his meds. Dogs deserve every sacrifice from us:)

claudine, Mar 8, 2015
  9. JoshPosh

Trellum Well-Known Member

Nope, no breeding for me. I actually dislike breeders because they are making our5 feral dogs problem bigger and bigger... so many people buy dogs they don't even want and end up abandoning them. That is the sad truth. I actually hate it when someone buys a dog as a gift to someone, that is the worst idea ever... sometimes everything ends well in that scenario, but sometimes it just doesn't.

Trellum, Jun 16, 2015
  10. JoshPosh

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I know a guy who wants to breed my little miss with his blue male. The science (for pits) is trying to breed certain colors, (everyone seems to want a blue). Also, you want to get some size. It isn't a matter of height so much as it his width. You can't actually control any of it. But sometimes you end up with a male like my Bowser was... every litter he fathered had a minimum of one blue. And some have been average size, but a few have turned out to be monsters! Little Ann is going to beast! Being gator pit, with the size we expect to see, and the circumstances of her 1 puppy birth would make her close to perfect. If I had papers on her parents she could have sold for a lot of money.

LilAnn, Jul 6, 2015
  11. JoshPosh

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone was neutered at 6 months old, so there will be no breeding with him. He is a gentle sweet dog, but he is a mutt and I think it should stop there. I am not fond of people breeding for financial purposes and backyard breeders too. However, different circumstances called for different ways of life.

IcyBC, Jul 22, 2015
  12. JoshPosh

I don't like when people breed dogs only for financial purposes either. It's so irresponsible and selfish! But I would be more than happy if my Homer had children. I would gladly keep them all:)

claudine, Jul 22, 2015
Ask a Question