Time Outs for Dogs

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, May 18, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I've been known from time to time to put my dog in her pen when she has done something bad or when we have gotten on each others nerves so much that we need a break. I think that it's mostly for me so that I don't get caught up in my emotions. A little break helps me step back. I'm not so sure that the time out does anything for my dog.

What do you think? Do time outs work for dogs? Can the break be good for both of you?

Melody, May 18, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Usually when our dogs did something wrong and they see/hear us angry, they hide themselves under the table or bed or bench. And they will come out when they feel it was "safe" already or we are not that angry anymore.
    So they make their own timeouts. :p

zararina, May 19, 2012
  3. Melody

King Browny Well-Known Member

There are dogs that cry or make uproar when you lock them out. You have to be firm or block your hearing or harden your emotion so as not to be affected with their cries or their pester power because it may lose your resolve. It happened to me before. My mom chained our dog and I set him free because he cried as if my mom was just pure evil and I would reason out with my mom, “He’s just a dog…” or something. But if I’m the one fed up with our dog’s nastiness... I’m only good at scolding, really, and shutting them from the house which is more of like doing them a favor because they live like little rascals.

King Browny, May 20, 2012
Ask a Question