The shaking heads

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Winterybella, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Recently my dogs have been shaking their heads more than I have seen in the past. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the ticks that supposedly gone. It's like something is bothering them and they have to shake it off like when we humans are bothered by a fly or something. I have checked the ears and they seem fine, but I am getting a little concern.

I read about it and I have seen several suggestion including it might be nothing. Still I wanted to ask you guys if you're familiar with this.

Winterybella, Aug 15, 2015
  2. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have the same concern on this issue with Capone! I guess I am paranoid and maybe overly protected, but when he kept shaking his head, I am worried that he might have fleas eating his the inside of his ears. I checked, nothing looks alarming but I still get a bit puzzle with this behavior.

He is going to the Vet this Thursday, and I will have to ask about it to know for sure!

IcyBC, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

If a dog shakes its head excessively odds are something is indeed bothering it. If several dogs in the same household do the same, then odds are the are dealing with some sort of infestation or even an infection. My dog did the same when she had an inner ear infection.

Trellum, Aug 17, 2015
  5. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Winterybella Capone went to the Vet yesterday, and his ears are fine! Nothing to be concerned about, but he said if I am worried then he could write a prescription for some antihistamine to take. I declined since Capone doesn't do it often enough to cause a red flag. No money left either after the office visit and shots :(

IcyBC, Aug 21, 2015
  6. Winterybella

Can you imagine what's going to happen when or if I decide to take my four to the vet?. I am here typing and Zola just shook her head and jumped on the bed. Today I am going to check the ears again and have my husband call his friend. I am thinking something is up and I believe it has something to do with ticks. I am not seeing any fleas whatsoever.

Winterybella, Aug 21, 2015
  7. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I don't trust the vet even if you shoot me! This guy was not good at all, he used the Q-tip to swipe Capone's ears, without even look into them with this tool. If there is no examination in there, and just prescribed the med, I don't think I am going to buy it blindly like I have nothing to do with my money. Did you finally find out from your friend the vet?

IcyBC, Aug 26, 2015
  8. Winterybella

I didn't ask my husband to check and he's more his friend than mine. I have not been asking him much of anything but that's a Dr Phil stor:)y. I just went on Youtube looking for all sorts of things. In the end I found out they had a few ticks and that must have been the problems. I was almost in tears trying to get them out, but the tips on YOutube were very helpful. Those 'suckers' had me quite a mess. My girls seem fine but I have to do regular checks and I have not checked the big dog yet. It's always tougher to handle her and I am fighting not to be too stressed out about it all.

Winterybella, Aug 26, 2015
Ask a Question