The only thing worse...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by LilAnn, Jun 12, 2015.

1. LilAnn

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Okay. I want to find one that works. I read recently of making your own collar with a scarf and adding all these natural ingredients. When I find the exact remedy I will share it. It seems sensible enough but the problem for me is keeping the collar around the neck. With four dogs playing the collar needs to be glued on.

Winterybella, Aug 6, 2015
  2. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I have tried everything! And, this year, I don't think there is any way to stay on top of them. I tried a dip I bought at the coop, flea collar, drop solution, and every home remedy I could find. I'm just grateful that around here, this year, ticks are minimal!

LilAnn, Aug 7, 2015
  3. LilAnn

Well I saw a few today so mine are not completely gone. I am still very worried but at least they look comfortable. I am not going to be completely happy until they are all gone. It feels like this is the first time they have lingered so long.

I might have to resort to the very expensive pills my husbands buys sometimes.

Winterybella, Aug 7, 2015
  4. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

What pills are those? I've never heard of it in pill form.

LilAnn, Aug 9, 2015
  5. LilAnn

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I hate fleas! Not only it bites Capone, but it also bites me. After giving him a flea bath with the mixture, I still take preventive step to keep it away:

-Add a few drops of apple cider vinegar in his drink every day
    -Soak the collar in vinegar, allow it to dry, and put it back on
    -Wipe him every few days with vinegar from head to tail

It has been more than three weeks, and the flea has not coming back, knock on wood!

IcyBC, Aug 15, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  6. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to try those. Especially the collar. They have been so useless, till now. Maybe it'll work and i won't feel like I wasted so much money :p

LilAnn, Aug 15, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. LilAnn

LiAnn did you ask me about the tablets my dogs took for the fleas. I have been searching everywhere and I think I found the name. It's Comfortis, but now I am checking reviews online not all are favourable. I am actually here trying to decide if to get my dogs some as I am still seeing them scratching from time to time. I hate to see them miserable.

Winterybella, Aug 15, 2015
  8. LilAnn

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I can't afford to buy a flea collar, so when I am in a hurry, I just spray Capone's collar before I let him out. He is our first dog and I never thought that there are fleas in my own lawn until this summer. I don't take him to the dog park, or to the groomer or the vet these past two months, but he had a few fleas. I saw them since his fur is white. It took us a couple of weeks of bathing, wiping, combing, and did all of those things to keep those blood suckers away from him.

I hope it will work for you!

IcyBC, Aug 16, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  9. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had never heard of them before. I'll find out if my neighbor ships the soap she makes and sells. Its $4.50 for a bar. I washed 5 dogs with it, and its still barely used. And if you leave it on long enough, it'll keep them flea free for a few days. Little Ann has been almost completely flea free for 4 days. They all get another bath with it, today.

LilAnn, Aug 16, 2015
  10. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I hope so too! I'm going to try a pretty extensive list of methods. The way i see it is if each method will kill or prevent 5 fleas, then with enough different tricks, I shoud be able to get most, if not all. Short grass, salt and borax on the carpet, vacuuming twice a day, neighbors soap, comb, vinegar collar, possibly tablets. If these don't work I'll pull out the big guns. Well, not guns but clippers. I'll shave every last one of them. Afterall, it'll just make their coat grow back all pretty and soft.

LilAnn, Aug 16, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. LilAnn

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Haha..I am sorry but I laughed out loud at shaving part of the dogs, but I can totally feel you! When you've tried everything and spent so much money on solving the problem and it didn't work out, I think we just have to take the drastic measure! It is tiring and weary on us with so much work every day!

IcyBC, Aug 17, 2015
  12. LilAnn

:) I had this conversation with my son recently. He's down for it but I can't pull it off. Remy has the most fur so she is the one we had air marked. I swear she would would die from fright though. She has come a very long way. To shave her would send her back into hiding after easing out of her shell.

Winterybella, Aug 17, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  13. LilAnn

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Oh no, you can't shave Remy, @Winterybella The psychological damage will be devastating for her, and will be so much more work on you! I am so sorry about this, but as I said before, I hate fleas and to see the dog always scratching and uncomfortable is not pleasant for us either.

Give her vinegar flea baths! I just gave one to Capone yesterday, and I saw dead fleas and eggs! I will have to continue with this regiment until winter comes so I don't itch too :)

IcyBC, Aug 18, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  14. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Have you guys seen a decrease in fleas over the past week or so? Little Ann has just a few, and the orphans have no more than a small handful... I know its cooler than it was, but I didn't think it was cool enough to hurt the flea population.

LilAnn, Aug 18, 2015
  15. LilAnn

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Our weather is getting a bit cooler on the side, but since I kept giving Capone the vinegar flea bath, and keep the preventive regiments, I haven't noticed. The temperature is very unpredictable for us here, cool in the earning morning and late evening, but gets quite hot at mid day. I hate fleas, so I will keep doing what I do to keep fleas off him until snow comes.

IcyBC, Aug 20, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  16. LilAnn

Johanna Well-Known Member

U can buy a flea bomb. U light it in your home kills the fleas.

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
  17. LilAnn

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Isn't it chemicals and is it safe to use inside the house? I am very cautious when it comes to use chemicals inside the house, and even in the garden for that matter. I like to be free of chemical :)

IcyBC, Mar 31, 2016
    Johanna likes this.
  18. LilAnn

No it's fine as the pet shops wouldn't sell it otherwise x just stay outside for few hrs.

Johanna, Apr 1, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  19. LilAnn

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Johanna What pet store sells the flea bomb? Is it expensive? My daughter lives in California and in an apartment so she has to take her dog to the dog park. She is battled with fleas all through summer, and they have to rent the rug shampoo machine to do their rug, and bought all kind of things to treat the flea. The flea bomb sounds like a symbol solution, so I will tell her about it!

IcyBC, Apr 7, 2016
    Johanna likes this.
  20. LilAnn

Yes cheaply. 100% work

Johanna, Apr 11, 2016
Ask a Question