The nightmare of the long dog: back issues!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Snary84, May 9, 2016.

1. Snary84

Snary84 Member

I think this is the nightmare of every person that owns long dogs. I own two dachshunds, and I'm always worried something could happen to them, this breed suffers from disk disease because of their long backs and short legs.
    Theoretically they shouldn't jump or climb stairs, but it's very hard to avoid it, specially the jumping. Mine are always running around and jumping on and off the couch. Lately I've decided to build a ramp, so they can get on and off the couch without jumping, and I'm actually working on it. I think the hard part will be make them understand that they need to use it, instead of jumping. I could use some small treats to lure them into using it, they are very greedy and I think it could work.
    Do you have long dogs? What do you do to prevent disk disease?
    I could use some advice. :)

Snary84, May 9, 2016
  2. Snary84

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have to applaud you for taking the extra precaution for your dogs, and building a ramp! You just have to enforce the training until they stop jumping.

I don't have a long back dog! He is a medium size dog, and the vet said that he has great physical form.

IcyBC, May 16, 2016
  3. Snary84

Trellum Well-Known Member

I used to have a dog of the same breed when I was younger, sadly she died some years later :( She was already very old when we rescued her. But genetic diseases proper of every breed have always worried, me, specially hwen I got my pug!

Trellum, May 22, 2016
  4. Snary84

Snary84 Member

Thank you @IcyBC but I'm doing it for the wellbeing of my little babies, there's nothing I wouldn't do for them. The ramp is almost finished, now I'll need to find a fabric that matches my couch to cover it up. I'll post a picture when I'll be done with it.
    @Trellum, genetic diseases are a nightmare, I'm always worrying about it and looking up informations. I can't even think about it happening to one of my sweet girls!

Snary84, May 29, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
Ask a Question