The great cleaning debate

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

I had no idea vinegar could actually get rid of bacteria and mold!!

[​IMG]

Trellum, Jul 2, 2015
  2. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I swear by both of them when I'm cleaning. I actually pour them down the sink together when I have drain thats starting to clog.

LilAnn, Jul 5, 2015
  3. Trellum

Awesome! I will try that the next time the drain starts clogging, I had no idea it worked like that. It's sounds way safer and ecological than using that nasty liquid they sell at the store.

Trellum, Jul 6, 2015
  4. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I just pour the powder down the drain, and then the vinegar immediately afterwards. The pressure from the chemical reaction will clean a lot of the issues right down the drain. It isn't a replacement for drain-o, though. I still have to keep a bottle in the house for *just in case*

LilAnn, Jul 6, 2015
  5. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I don't know where you found all these charts, but have I tell you I love them? I use both of these products together when I see the pipe is slow in draining and they work out great. But for bigger problem, they do need industrial strength though.

IcyBC, Jul 17, 2015
  6. Trellum

thegrey1 Member

In the house where we used to live, I used vinegar extensively. The place was 117 years old, and turned into a money pit soon after we bought it! We had mold showing up everywhere, including the backs of closets. I had small children then, so I didn't want to use harsh chemicals. A lady I knew gave me an old book, called "The Vinegar Book." It recommended white vinegar for practically everything, including mold control. I kept the vinegar industry in business for 20+ years! :D

thegrey1, Jul 20, 2015
  7. Trellum

Wow, really? My parents house is invaded with mold!!! I had no idea white vinegar could actually help with that!! I will surely give it a try :) I don't like the idea of using harsh products at home either, I try to limit their use as much as possible and that is why I prefer a more natural approach :)

Trellum, Jul 27, 2015
  8. Trellum

You are very welcome :) I'm glad you find those visual guides and info graphs very useful :) I post them with that in mind, because there is nothing I dislike more than having to read thru really long walls of text in order to get the info I want and need :p

Trellum, Jul 27, 2015
  9. Trellum

That is good to know! We don't have that kind of issues often at home, but when we do then my mom usually uses drain-o. Next time we will try this, if it works with your drain then might also work with ours. I think it's worth the try, I really don't like the idea of using those strong chemicals in our drain.

Trellum, Jul 27, 2015
  10. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

it's a lot cheaper than drain-o. And it'll work to kill any
    odors you might get in there. We are in the country and on well water. When they start blasting at the near by quarry the pipes will get a terrible smell, and that works better than anything else

LilAnn, Jul 27, 2015
  11. Trellum

That's amazing!!! Do you use both of them combined to get that effect? We have a similar problem where I live, so I will let my mother know asap, we just had no idea vinegar could be used for so many things. Someone here even said it can help with getting rid of mold!!!

Trellum, Jul 28, 2015
  12. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah, they have to combine in the drain, but as long as you pour the baking powder first it'll work.I've never heard of using it to get rid of mold. I wonder if it'll work on clothes. It'd be great if I can salvage some of my son's hidden, wet wardrobe.

LilAnn, Jul 29, 2015
  13. Trellum

I'd not risk it with mold on clothes, the spores reproduce reproduce very fast :( I had the same issue with some bathroom accessories, I had to throw them away because that nasty thing does get everywhere it can. Thanks for the tip :) I'll surely use this next time :)

Trellum, Jul 30, 2015
  14. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

You're right. Its a shame to have to throw away those clothes, (some pretty expensive). but it is better than a sick kid.

LilAnn, Aug 2, 2015
Ask a Question