The "eyes" have it

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Winterybella, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am sure most if not all can relate to those piercing eyes that often leave you wondering what your dog might be thinking or trying to say. A day does not go by that I do not look my dogs in the eye and them me. A lot of times it serves as great therapy for me and often makes me smile. What's your experience looking into the eyes of your dog? I have read that their eyes can say a whole lot.

Winterybella, Apr 26, 2015
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, Ive seen sad in the eyes of a dog before. Some dogs have very intense eyes, almost like a human! Actually the dog I told you about, the nightmarish dog that belonged to my mom? He had the most beautiful hazelnut colored eyes ever, and he often looked at you in the eye.

Trellum, Apr 26, 2015
  3. Winterybella

At this very moment one after the other of them are looking me and me at them. I think they want some freedom .I have them restricted to two rooms. The beautiful thing is that they don't get stuck unless you continually engage them . They will quickly move on.

Winterybella, Apr 26, 2015
  4. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer doesn't like when I look him directly in the eyes. He always turns his head away. But I can read his moods anyway. It's easy. He has never tried to hide his feelings;)

claudine, Apr 26, 2015
  5. Winterybella

Heheheh, sometimes the eyes of a dog can tell us so much about what they are really thinking. I see it with my girl a lot :) I can almost see what she is thinking sometimes :)

Trellum, Apr 27, 2015
  6. Winterybella

For sure. I have fired my work for a few days now and those eyes have been upon for one reason or another. Guilt, joy, begging and the list goes on. Right now they are all three of them out like a light. Ooops. Remy just peeped at me.

Winterybella, Apr 29, 2015
  7. Winterybella

Awww!!!!! So you are taking some days off from work? That sounds wonderful, it's time for you to take a rest and enjoy life even more. I'm guessing you are baking a lot now or also taking a rest from that as well? Enjoy your time with your girls :)

Trellum, Apr 30, 2015
  8. Winterybella

It's more like I am on strike from one job with my husband and just checking in from time to time to see how my son is doing at the helm. Long story. I try to do some work at home especially researching new business ideas as well as systems to put in place to generate traffic and sales. Right now we are in a serious recession here in my country. Besides all that I really need a break. I've been too stressed out and often the only thing that keeps me going are those eyes of love and affection.

Winterybella, May 10, 2015
  9. Winterybella

Oh Anne! So sorry to hear about the recession in your country, in my mother country it's the same. I hope you find a way to start selling your products online, so you can reach more customers. Aren't there a web site where people can sell and buy things online inside the country? We have something like that, it's easier to sell in that kind of sites, because you only send packages inside the country only.

Trellum, May 10, 2015
  10. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Did you know that dogs will learn to look into someone's eyes and pick up on clues? The dog is the only animal that does, and humans are the only animals they do that too.

LilAnn, Jun 5, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  11. Winterybella

That's very true. I noticed that Homer starts wagging his tail whenever I'm smiling at him. He knows when I'm in a good mood:D Dogs are such wonderful creatures!

claudine, Jun 8, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  12. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

They really are. All of my dogs do it to a certain degree. Little miss, though, has mastered it.
    The other dogs are technically my husbands or my mother in laws. I am the one who takes care of them. If you ask the rest of the dogs who they belong to, all but one will tell you they are mine. Don't get me wrong, it isn't for any reason other than I love animals.
    Little Miss is all mine. She's the only one that is solely mine. And I have had her since 8 weeks old. Her and her sister bri. I can look at her and even cover my mouth if I wanted to and she'll know if she should come over or not. I don't know what she picks up on that tells her when it is time to lick the plate. But she'll sit there for 3 hours watching someone eat. But she absolutely will not go for it unless she knows.

LilAnn, Jun 8, 2015
  13. Winterybella

She sounds like a very intelligent, sweet and sensitive dog!:)
    My Homer is quite egoistic;) If you don't share your food with him, he'll bark at you and try to steal it. Or he'll bite you. I can't tell you how many times he bit me, lol. I'm lucky he's so tiny.

claudine, Jun 9, 2015
  14. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Sometimes, Capone looks at me straight in the face as if he wanted to say something, and I often asked him what he wants, but of course, he just lets out a little whine. Other times, I kind of know what he wants when he came and stared at me. He has beautiful eyes and very expressive.

IcyBC, Jul 29, 2015
  15. Winterybella

Tomi Active Member

Much like humans dogs have a way of relaying what they feel through their eyes. This is useful for anyone who likes to know how they feel. I have seen such sadness in my dog's eyes I almost crumbled down in tears. That was a time he was not well.

Tomi, Aug 29, 2015
  16. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

haha oh wow! Sounds like you spoiled him! Thats wonderful. I used to have a cat that would do that. Eating becomes a bit more of a hassle, but bratty pets always make me smile!!

LilAnn, Sep 2, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  17. Winterybella

Haha, yes, my family loves him very much and we all spoil him whenever we can, lol:p He always gets what he wants. I love him so much, I couldn't say no to him;)
    He's bratty, cute, little thing.

claudine, Sep 3, 2015
  18. Winterybella

Then you'll be smiling with Ginger. With my cat no longer here, Ginger is the new brat in town. As bratty as she is she makes me smile. Recently when she was not well, those eyes told the story. They get me with those eyes almost every time.

Winterybella, Sep 3, 2015
  19. Winterybella

morgoodie Member

I know that look. I too find myself looking at my dog in the eyes and wondering what they are thinking. I have just gotten a 7 month old female pit bull. She is so friendly and sweet and when I look her in the eyes her forehead gets all wrinkled. It really seems that she has some deep thoughts going on and I wish I could listen into them once in a while. There just seems to be so much intelligence behind her eyes and I would love to communicate with her. I think it would be interesting to know what is going on in there heads.

morgoodie, Feb 9, 2016
    Becky likes this.
  20. Winterybella

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Our dogs have those "eye" look also but more often they have that inquiring look as if asking us what it is all about. I have noticed that when I'm sick or if I have a problem, that inquiring look would be displayed by Barbie, my favorite pekingese who is my lap dog. She would come near me and pose to be cuddled, may be her way of comforting me.

Corzhens, Feb 10, 2016
Ask a Question