The do and don't of dog snacks

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Just a gentle reminder to all those owners out there who might or might not be aware of what things are a big no or a big yes when it comes to doggy snacks! Some seem pretty obvious, but you'd be amazed to find out how many people have no idea...

[​IMG]

Trellum, Jun 21, 2015
  2. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well thank you again. It looks like I am doing okay in this department. There are some things I have not given them like yogurt and green beans, but they have had just about everything else.

Winterybella, Jun 21, 2015
  3. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

To be honest, I didn't know that dogs shouldn't eat onions and garlic. Fortunately, I've never tried to give it to Homer.
    Many people have no idea that chocolate is poisonous to our four legged friends. My boyfriend used to feed his dog chocolates when he was a child:confused:

claudine, Jun 22, 2015
  4. Trellum

danielle davidson Active Member

This is a great post! Some of these things I didn't know you could give your dog. I'm pretty limited with what I give my dog. I have a small dog so the last thing that I want to do is harm him by giving him bad foods. It's interesting because I didn't know that you weren't allowed to give them salt. It seems interesting because I wouldn't think that would affect them very much. Same with the grapes. That seems weird. But I will make sure that I don't give those to my dog!

danielle davidson, Jun 25, 2015
  5. Trellum

Yeah, actually there are a lot plants and produce that can be harmful for your dog, Danielle. Grapes are very toxic for both dogs and cats, same with tomato plant leaves. A dog can easily intoxicate if he eats some tomato leaves easily. There are more plants that are harmful to them, the list is so long!

Trellum, Jul 4, 2015
  6. Trellum

Now you do ;) I used to sometimes give our old dog the leftovers of food not thinking much about it, until I read about the onion and garlic. That dog really missed eating the soup leftovers :D

Trellum, Jul 4, 2015
  7. Trellum

That is great to hear, Anne :) I have never given my yoghurt, I was afraid it could upset their stomach. But I have also given them everything else in the list :D My frida has started to really like apple slices ;)

Trellum, Jul 4, 2015
  8. Trellum

danielle davidson Active Member

Okay, thank you for that! I never knew this stuff, so I'm glad that I'm learning about it. We used to have a garden and we may have had tomatoes in it. Good thing we don't have it anymore because I'm sure that Remy would have tried to eat the plants. He always peed on the plants, so maybe it's good that he did. Are lemons good? Because I see people giving them to their dogs so that they can get funny reaction, but I heard that they were bad. I'm just not sure.

danielle davidson, Jul 4, 2015
  9. Trellum

Hi there, Daniellle! As far as I know lemon is toxic to dogs, to cats and eve to horses. Sadly most plants are poisonous for dogs, the most dangerous I can think of right now are kalanchoes and hydrangea. So if you guys are growing a garden you can check what plants you have growing there.

Trellum, Jul 5, 2015
  10. Trellum

Hi Danielle. Looks like you are new to the forum so welcome. Did I read that you have a Remy? One of my girls is Remy. I swore she was the only one alive with that name. Anyway I was quite familiar with some of the things like garlic and onion for sure. Then a few were obvious like alcohol and maybe caffeine. I still think Ginger might eat most of them if you let her. She has taken over as the greedy one.

Winterybella, Jul 7, 2015
  11. Trellum

Haha, most dogs love eating leftovers;) It doesn't surprise me, human food can be really delicious. But I wish it wasn't so unhealthy for our four legged friends.
    I'd love to share some of my food with Homer, because I know it would make him happy;)

claudine, Jul 7, 2015
  12. Trellum

Yeah! They love to eat everything we do my Frida is always searching for tiny bits of food on the floor of the kitchen, lol. It's so funny, she is so desperate to find those tiny bits of food, sometimes the size of a crumb, lol.

Trellum, Jul 7, 2015
  13. Trellum

I could probably write a book about my dogs wanting to eat from my plate and Ginger is in a whole new category. Like I said before she makes Zola look like she is on a diet although Zola still loves to give you those begging eyes. Ginger is the one who will jump in the plate if you let her. She has had a few near misses with my husband's plate as he likes to eat in the chair sometimes. I don't have to tell how irritated he gets but in the end you just have to love her still.

Winterybella, Jul 7, 2015
  14. Trellum

Hahahaha! Yes, that Ginger sounds like a very daring character. I ca imagine how angry your husbands get lol, but I am glad to hear she has been making progress in the potty training department :)

Trellum, Jul 7, 2015
  15. Trellum

Homer keeps searching for food on the kitchen floor too:) I sometimes leave special surprises for him there. It makes him very happy!

claudine, Jul 9, 2015
  16. Trellum

Hahaha! And awwwww! I should learn that from you, follow your example and do that for Friday. I never thought of doing that. I bet she would really enjoy it. She loves it when she finds tiny sausage bits.

Trellum, Jul 9, 2015
  17. Trellum

Haha, I'm not sure if you should follow my example. My kitchen often looks like a mess lol, and there is always something on the floor. It's easy to step on Homer's little surprise snacks:p

claudine, Jul 10, 2015
  18. Trellum

It sounds like a lot fun if you ask me :p:D:oops: I bet your Homer loves you even more for that ;) Are you still spending a lot time with him?

Trellum, Jul 10, 2015
  19. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Love the chart, @Trellum ! I give Capone an egg with his meal once in a while and he loves it. The yogurt though is something I won't ever give him as he has a sensitive stomach, and from all the warning on dog treat that carried yogurt said the same, I will avoid this one.

IcyBC, Jul 17, 2015
  20. Trellum

Yeah, generally dogs' stomachs don't get along with diary products. same applies to me, lol. I personally avoid giving mine yoghurt, even if they say it is ok. I know it isn't ok even for cats or humans, our GI tract wasn't made to process cow milk.

Trellum, Jul 17, 2015
Ask a Question