The “foul smell”

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by King Browny, Mar 15, 2012.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

Can you tell if your dog is responsible for the “foul smell” in the air?

There was this one time when I, my sister and our mom watch a movie together in a room with our two young dogs with us. Then suddenly this stinky smell surfaced in the air. Oh wow! Haha! All of us swear we’re not responsible for it. So it has to be one of the dogs. But they are so relaxed lying on the floor without a care what’s the commotion is all about. They were like, “I’m pretending to be sleeping here, how you know it’s me?”

Dogs’ gassiness could also be a hint that they have bad stomach. Maybe they ate something unpalatable from someone’s garbage or from somewhere where they think “hey, that looks luscious.”

King Browny, Mar 15, 2012
  2. King Browny

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

You have a point there. What's disgusting and stinking to us is probably delicious and fragrant to the dogs. Somehow I get the feeling that the more gamey the smell, the better the dogs like it.

Victor Leigh, Mar 15, 2012
  3. King Browny

Yes, they could even last for days without taking a bath after rolling to dirt. They would even lick themselves afterwards. They care for many things except for their smell. So when it comes to food they aren’t choosy. As long as they think it’s edible anyway. It’s different to some dogs though especially with breed. Shakira, my golden ret, won’t eat just about anything. She won’t eat the food from someone she doesn’t know.

King Browny, Mar 17, 2012
  4. King Browny

Sounds like Shakira is very well-trained. I remember a dog-training tip which recommended feeding your dog using only your left hand, so that it won't accept food proffered by strangers who would normally use the right hand. Another trick I remember was to always feed the dog using a dish placed on a small pedestal to teach the dog not to eat anything from the ground. Reduces the chance of the dog falling for the poisoned meat trick said to be often used by wily burglars.

Victor Leigh, Mar 18, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  5. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

I have not experienced smelling a foul smell from our dogs or maybe I am just not aware of it. Lol
    Our dogs just stay inside our compound with gates so they cannot eat anything unnecessary and unpleasant.

zararina, Mar 18, 2012
  6. King Browny

Thanks for the cool ideas. Should I have another pup in the future, I’m going to try those tips. I don't actually know how Shakira’s former owner taught her but I'm lucky to have her already well-behaved. In fact, she amazes me a lot because she teaches me some dog thing that yours truly doesn’t know and got me to thinking sometimes. See, I’m not the type who trains dogs because somehow they teach themselves what to do or they learn on their own. Like in discipline, when they heard you say “no” or “outside” redundantly they would soon relate it to what is or what’s not to do and they will follow on their own.

King Browny, Mar 21, 2012
  7. King Browny

Here's another tip that I learned from a veteran dog trainer. To express displeasure, it's much simpler to do it with a growl. The dog understands that much faster. And to show who is the master, don't do what was spoofed about in one movie - bite it on the ear. Or has someone actually done that?

Victor Leigh, Mar 22, 2012
  8. King Browny

Oh, my! I did believe that. Come to think of it, if you bit a dog's ear you’re like asking it to bite you. I remember they don’t like their ears to be touch. I think that’s one of their ticklish part and they got irritated when you touch it. About the barking, it’s like with the apes. They understand better if you communicate with them the way they do.

King Browny, Mar 24, 2012
Ask a Question