Teacup Puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Apr 2, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

We've heard of those adorable small puppies weighing less than 7 pounds, literally small enough to fit in a teacup. Sure they're adorably small and just darlings, but some breeders fail to disclose the dangers of getting a teacup puppy.

For one, the chances that their organs are still underdeveloped is high.
    They can also have soft spots on their heads called fontanels (underdeveloped cranial bones).
    Most of them have fragile bones.
    Most of them will require special diet.

I've heard horrible stories of teacup puppies coming from breeders. They would charge as much as $10,000 for one. Some potential owners have no idea what they're getting themselves into. Do you know of anyone who plans to own one?

haopee, Apr 2, 2012
  2. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

They make me think of infants.....undeveloped, soft, fragile, high risk for issues, special diet, etc..

And no, I don't plan to own one. I think it's unfair to them, first of all, and I don't really support special breeding for purely cosmetic reasons, especially when it's at the risk of harming more animals because of it, too.

Jessi, Apr 2, 2012
  3. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere that those teacup toy dogs are actually genetic abnormalities. Like they are not bred by design. They are more like accidents of birth. And they are sterile.

Victor Leigh, Apr 3, 2012
  4. haopee

morst Active Member

Teacup puppies are actually considered the rants of the litter. This term was coined purely for commercial intents of unscrupulous breeders and sellers. They will never tell this to their prospective buyers.

morst, Apr 3, 2012
  5. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I actually have not seen a teacup puppy personally just on online photos/videos.
    And I do not know someone who would want to own one of it.
    Breeders should also care for their dogs/puppies not just to earn money.

zararina, Apr 3, 2012
  6. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

It seems mixed. As in, yes, they're generally runts or born prematurely, but it does say in the second paragraph that they're commonly bred because they sell so well. So maybe it started just as an accident, but now they intentionally try to get them that small sometimes?

Jessi, Apr 3, 2012
  7. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

The key word their is intentional, which makes it fine if they've selected genetically super small normal and healthy dogs. The problem lies where some breeders decide to simply sell puppies that are born prematurely and call them "Teacup" puppies.

Yorkies, Maltese and Poodles are the top 3 breeds to which Teacup puppies are usually bred from.

Have you read some of the horrible stories being posted on the site? It just breaks my heart how most of these people who've invested so much time, effort, and of course, money, end up having to witness their puppies suffer and die.

haopee, Apr 4, 2012
  8. haopee

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I don't plan to own one, but I do think think they sound completely adorable. I can understand why there would be so many dangers for them, considering how small they are. Some breeds just have a higher likeliness of different problems though.

dkramarczyk, Apr 7, 2012
  9. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I really doubt if the Teacup dogs are really bred by design. I have read about it and everything I have read said that they are sterile. Also I have talked to people in the dog breeding business in Thailand and they tell me the same thing.

Victor Leigh, Apr 8, 2012
Ask a Question