Teaching kids how to behave around dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

For those of you who have kids or are around kids a lot, do you spend time teaching your kids how to interact with dogs? Do you try to show them how to meet a strange dog, even one that seems friendly?

The reason I ask these questions is yesterday we celebrated my niece's 10th birthday. I took Misha as I always do. I try not to miss an opportunity for her to interact with new people.

My niece invited two friends. They were all 10 year olds. When they came in, before I could say anything, the one ran up to Misha and started the high pitched "oh, you're so cute..." stuff. Misha reacted with fear and moved away. I had to explain that she was afraid of people and gave the instructions on not to touch her until she warmed up to her.

The one girl got it right off the bat. The one that ran up to her was a problem all day. Misha growled at her once because she started to get in her face. Just what I need is a child getting bitten.

The interesting thing is while she didn't like that child, the child who ignored her became Misha's friend. She wasn't as wild as the other girl and Misha responded to it. When we were doing presents, the more quiet girl sat next to us on the couch. Soon, Misha was letting her pet her and she was on her lap. She didn't act aggressively or fearful to her once.

It made me feel good that she warmed up to the one girl. But, I was worried about the other one. I didn't want to have any situations.

Oh, and it isn't just the children you have to worry about! My sister-in-law's father is a big joker and a tease. He loves dogs, but can't seem to get it through his head that Misha is not like his dogs. He kept poking at Misha and trying to pet her. He has met her before and knows she is scared of people. But, he is older (in his 80s) and insist on approaching her like he approaches his own dogs. She growled at him once. When he asked me if she would bite, I said yes. If I was nervous and someone kept poking at me, I might bite them, too.

So, it was a mixed bag at the party. Overall, I think it was an improvement. It's difficult to get your dog on her best behavior when a couple of people aren't going to abide by the rules.

Melody, Aug 20, 2012
  2. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Misha is attracted to calm energy, which should be how dogs should act and how pack leaders should be.

Yes, I do teach my nieces or people who try to approach my dogs rambunctiously. It's difficult to do this but it has to be done because Buchi is unpredictable. He had bitten one of the workers of my sister's home because they played with his toys and talked loudly laughing all over the place.

haopee, Aug 22, 2012
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

It's a big problem when family members or guests don't know how to act around dogs. I've once took my Homer with me when I was visiting my family, I wanted them to meet him. But there was this little, annoying boy, who kept chasing after Homer all the time, my dog has never been this scared. It was awful. And the boy didn't want to stop:mad: .

claudine, Aug 22, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, I think you are right that she responds better to calm people. The one child was just too much for her. She reacts this way with my youngest niece sometimes. It's because my niece is used to her dogs that will tolerate anything. Misha is not used to the yelling, running around, and being grabbed out of nowhere.

Claudine, it's really hard when people don't play by the rules. It's almost as if people believe all dogs are friendly. You can understand a young child not grasping this, but adults should know better.

If I tell you that my dog is afraid of people, do you then try to pet her or do you wait to let her come to you?

Melody, Aug 22, 2012
Ask a Question