Teaching a young dog not to jump on people

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by wils172, Feb 24, 2012.

1. wils172

wils172 Active Member

I have a 3 month old golden retriever puppy and she insists on jumping on everyone! What can I do to train her to not jump on people anymore? I've tried smacking her nose and saying sit (and then forcing her to sit) but she just continues to jump.. It's quite frustrating.

wils172, Feb 24, 2012
  2. wils172

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's her way of showing her affection for people. I think it's a phase that she will outgrow. Just be patient for a couple of months.

Victor Leigh, Mar 4, 2012
  3. wils172

zararina Well-Known Member

There are really dogs who seems to be too excited on people or hyper.
    Maybe she will outgrow that since a friend of mine has a golden retriever who also behave that way when she was younger/puppy.

zararina, Mar 5, 2012
  4. wils172

MakingCents Well-Known Member

When she jumps up push her off with your hand and say 'off,' then once all 4 paws are on the floor rewards her with pets and even a treat. Soon she will realize she gets your attention when her four legs are on the floor and she gets no at tention when she is jumping.

MakingCents, Mar 5, 2012
  5. wils172

wils172 Active Member

This is what I've been trying to do, but she still seems to jump whenever she sees me initially. Sometimes if I ignore her she won't jump quite as much, but then I risk getting jumped on and covered in mud. lol

wils172, Mar 7, 2012
  6. wils172

MakingCents Well-Known Member

yeah that is a tough one, that if you ignore her she might get to you anyways. But eventually she should get the hint!

MakingCents, Mar 8, 2012
  7. wils172

I do think that it's some kind of growing up phase. Kind of like kids who are never patient. However some dogs seem to take longer to grow up. I remember my Bangkeaw was more than two years old before it became more sedately in its behavior.

Victor Leigh, Mar 10, 2012
  8. wils172

wils172 Active Member

I've noticed some older dogs that still haven't learned not to jump on people. Now whether that was b/c they were still immature or never trained properly is debatable.

wils172, Mar 13, 2012
  9. wils172

I suppose some dogs would be like some human beings. Stuck in the adolescent stage for the rest of their lives. In dogs, such a problem may just that the dog has become a big nuisance instead of being a small nuisance. In human beings, such a problem can start a world war.

Victor Leigh, Mar 13, 2012
Ask a Question