Tasks for working breed

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by shdws, Feb 14, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

My dog is part of the working group breed. I've been thinking of tasks for him to keep him active and happy. Anyone have a working dog? What tasks do you give him?

shdws, Feb 14, 2013
  2. shdws

trishgl Well-Known Member

We had one before our present chow. Murphy was very energetic so we made sure he got a lot of exercise daily. I would jog with him for 45 minutes to an hour in the morning and my husband would jog with him for another 45 minutes in the early evening. My kids had play time with him in the afternoon but aside from that we never really assigned him any "work".

trishgl, Apr 5, 2013
  3. shdws

MzMonka Well-Known Member

Given the dog is a working breed you might want to look into fly ball, agility training, possible weight pull depending on the breed. If your dog is a swimmer and doesn't mind diving, dock diving is another option or in the warmer months just take the dog swimming. If you run or jog or ride a bicycle bring the dog with you just make sure that you keep a pace that is good for the dog, usually a trot works well. Watch for overheating and make sure you have plenty of water for both of you.

MzMonka, Apr 13, 2013
  4. shdws

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree that if a dog is very energetic, that dog could be a good jogging or running buddy. Also play with such dog more often.

zararina, Apr 13, 2013
Ask a Question