Taking a Dogcation?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I just saw a banner ad to win a Dogcation at Cavallo Point in Sausalito, California. Yes, it's a vacation with your dog. All accommodations fit for a dog (and it's human).

It was a two night, two human, and two dog trip. The Dogcation comes with special bedding for your pooch, food and water bowls, organic dog cookies, and a special absorbent towel.

This is the place where the winner will Dogcation: http://www.cavallopoint.com/dogs-play.html Evidently, they have special accommodations for dogs year round.

I think this idea is amusing. They even have coined the phrase "dogcation". LOL I've taken dogs on camping trips, but never somewhere where there is room service. It seems a bit silly, but I guess it shows how dogs are more and more becoming family members in America--and perhaps elsewhere. It is probably easier than finding a dog sitter.

Would you take your dog on a Dogcation?

Melody, Jul 2, 2012
  2. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Dogcation's are really popular in New Zealand. I remember years ago in a pet magazine reading about a special book that was released which contained hundreds of accomodation listings that allowed and even encouraged owners to bring their pets. Some were located by hiking or beach areas that people could explore with their dogs. I think dogcations are a great idea as no one really likes leaving their pets behind when going on vacation. :D

tajnz, Jul 2, 2012
  3. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ha, that's interesting. I wouldn't at all.

I do think it's an awesome idea, though, especially for couples who care for their dogs like children (and in place of children). To have hotel accommodations for dogs is really good, considering how hard it can be to find ones that allow them to stay in the hotel in the first place. I wonder what they'd do during the day with their dogs.

Jessi, Jul 2, 2012
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I will definitely bring our dogs on such dogcation if ever I would will such promo. ;)
    It is a good way to campaign their place as well as services and to encourage more dog or pet lovers to visit there. That kind of vacation is surely memorable.

zararina, Jul 3, 2012
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Tajnz, It is nice to know other countries do this. I'm always reading about how Americans are crazy (as in going overboard) about their dogs. It appears much of the rest of the world thinks we take things too far when it comes to our dogs.

Jessi, if I am not mistaken this area is near some nice beaches. Maybe they promote day hikes and tours. I wonder if they have doggie day care so you can go to dinner. Still, if you take your dog that does limit your activities somewhat.

That gives me a funny idea. Dog tours. I have this concept of taking tours where all the things you need to see are at sniffing level. :p

Melody, Jul 3, 2012
  6. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I bet they do! It seems like they'd almost have to as part of their packages and services, as an even more enticing way to get people to come. Either that, or maybe they have a couple outdoor restaurants on the beach where dogs are welcome, too?

Jessi, Jul 3, 2012
  7. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Limit your activities? I don't think so. People who love their dogs enough to take them on vacations are probably people who would do everything together with their dogs. If they had preferred a dogless holiday, they would have left the dog at home.

Victor Leigh, Jul 4, 2012
  8. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Victor, I was thinking more in terms of dining out. I don't know of any restaurants in this area that allow dogs inside (except for service dogs). So, you'd have to leave your dog back at the room during these times. Maybe the Cavallo Point Hotel has such accommodations since they are catering to people with their dogs.

But, this would be a fantastic area for taking walks and hikes. Humans and dogs would enjoy those parts very much. You can take your dog to this beautiful beach:
    http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park-sites/rodeo-beach.html

Melody, Jul 4, 2012
  9. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have just thought of something. It might not be such a good idea to take your dog to a restaurant where other people take their dogs, too. You never know whether your dog would get on well with all the other doggie patrons. You might end up not having dinner at all if you have to mediate a doggie squabble.

Victor Leigh, Jul 5, 2012
  10. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

This is such a cute idea!:D It's convenient especially if you live alone and you know that there wouldn't be anyone to take care of your dog if you were on vacation.
    Unfortunately, Homer really hates travelling, he also doesn't like visiting new places. He is the happiest in our house. So dogcation is not an option for us.

claudine, Jun 30, 2013
  11. Melody

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

If I won a dogcation through a promotional sweepstakes, I would definitely go.
    I don't think I would pay for that luxury because I'm a frugal person.
    My dog just raised his head to look at me, so I think he can tell that I'm writing about him.

ACSAPA, Aug 19, 2013
  12. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Lol, this is so cute!:D My Homer is sleeping now. I saw him going to his favorite room, he has his sofa there.
    As for dogcation, I think that it's a rather nice idea, but I'm not sure if dogs really enjoy it. I think that most dogs prefer to stay at home rather than to travel. But maybe it depends on a dog.

claudine, Aug 19, 2013
Ask a Question