Take Your Dog To Work Day

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 24, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I didn't know there was "take you dog to work" day! Here's the official website:
    http://www.takeyourdog.com/

Will your employer be participating? Would you take you dog to work with you?

I don't work outside the home. I bring my dog to work every day already. Misha is not the type of dog I would bring into a setting with other dogs though. I might have brought Sierra. She was much more laid back.

Do you think it's a good idea to bring dogs to work? I would think it'd be very distracting. How could you get anything done with all those cute dogs around?

Melody, May 24, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I think there is no "take your dog to work" day here although some might organizing events where dogs are involved. But doubt if that is an event inside the office.

zararina, May 25, 2012
  3. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this and I actually think it's kind of silly. I do know of taking your children to work day...and I know that some people think of their dogs as their kids....but simply put, they aren't. They aren't people and you're not taking them to work to teach them about your career, what you do, what responsibilities there are, etc, which is the point of the one with kids. This would be to just show off the dog and unless it's insanely well behaved and used to being around lots of strangers for hours....then it could be very stressful. That's especially true if multiple people are bringing their dogs. :S

Jessi, May 25, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Jessi, that is very true. I have seen on TV work places that allow dogs. The Dog Whisperer did a segment on a problem dog that the owner brought to work. I don't see how you keep all the dogs relaxed and settled all day. I think I'd be distracted from my work throwing toys around my office. How do you avoid fights? Even if your dog is an angel, it may not behave around ten or more dogs in an enclosed area.

The Oakland A's baseball team has a promotion where you can bring your dog to the baseball game. They've done it for a couple of years. While it seems cute, it doesn't seem appropriate. Unless your dog is very good around people, dogs, and excitement, it could be a potentially dangerous situation. At the least, your dog might become stressed and nervous with everything going on.

Then again, I have never taken my dog to PetSmart. I'm not comfortable with it.

Melody, May 25, 2012
  5. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think what makes PetSmart a little more okay is that it's temporary, intended for dogs, and supposed to be relaxing. Your attention is entirely on your dog the whole time because that's the whole point of going. You're not going there -and- trying to work.

I wonder how people who take them to work justify it.

Jessi, May 26, 2012
Ask a Question