Swimming the dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Corzhens, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We have 3 dogs - Tisoy the spitz, Pipoy the pug, Barbie the pekingese and only female. When it comes to water, Tisoy seems to have a phobia. But the other 2 enjoy swimming in the water. We give them a test with the big basin that we use to bathe them. Barbie would enjoy being soaked in the water, and Pipoy as well. But we cannot make Tisoy stay inside the basin even if his body is not soaked since he is a tall dog unlike the other 2.

We have a foldable swimming pool that we use occasionally for soaking when the weather is too hot. I am thinking of letting our dogs use the pool before folding it when we are done. But my husband didn't agree because all dogs know how to swim but the problem is if they get to like it? For sure, we cannot use the pool anymore without letting the dogs join us.

Corzhens, Jun 23, 2016
  2. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I should be the ashamed to say this but I can't be too sure how my dogs feel about swimming. You would think since I live less than five minutes away from some of the most beaches I would know. Granted dogs are supposedly band for our beaches but I have seen several there on the odd occasion when I do go. Recently I saw a video of dogs in pools that was hilarious. It got me to thinking I should test my girls out either at the beach or in a pool. I am actually excited at the thought of it all.

Winterybella, Jun 23, 2016
  3. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer is like Tisoy, he seems to have a phobia too. No matter how hot it is, he doesn't want to get near water. When it's raining, he refuses to go outside. If the pavement is wet, he asks people to carry him.
    I'm sure he wouldn't enjoy swimming.

claudine, Jun 23, 2016
  4. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I can relate to some of this. Zola hates to go outside if it's raining and does not like her baths. I just don't know if that means she won't like the pool or the beach.

Winterybella, Jun 23, 2016
  5. Corzhens

cluckeyo Active Member

It's hot in Texas, and for a couple of summers a few years and go, we set up a louge pool on the side of the yard. I was great to cool off in. 12 inches deep, it was inflatable and had big fat sides and 4 lounging chairs. cup holders, the whole bit. Our chihuahua enjoyed it too. When we were using it, she would jump on the side and then jump in the water and paddle around. Then get back on the side and sun up there. It finally wore out, we should get another one.

cluckeyo, Jun 24, 2016
  6. Corzhens

amelia88 Well-Known Member

We took Jojo to the beach once (it's a few hours drive from home, so it's not a regular occurrence for us) and he was barking at the waves! When they would crash and foam too close to him, he'd go running back to the safety of shore!

It was really funny watching him actually, since he really seemed to think the waves were "alive" and would yap non stop at them!

amelia88, Jul 1, 2016
  7. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have wonder about swimming and I have heard that dog can swim naturally. We don't live anywhere near the water or have the pool, so I don't have any experience in this area. One thing I know for sure that he is not fond of taking a shower or a bath. When he hears "bath, shower" he goes into hiding or just went into his kennel, haha :)

IcyBC, Jul 1, 2016
Ask a Question