Swimming for exercise

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by MzMonka, Apr 19, 2013.

1. MzMonka

MzMonka Well-Known Member

For me summer is getting ready to gear up so I know I am going to be taking the dogs to the lake to go swimming. I find that it keeps them cool, it is great exercise for them and it is something that we can do together that we all enjoy. All dogs aren't swimmers and I have had a few that wouldn't do more than stand there looking at the rest of us like there was something wrong but for the others they love it. I do keep them on leads so that they don't get to far and also have life jackets for the new swimmers. It really is good for them and since I own large breed dogs it is easier on their joints.

Anyone take their dogs out for a swim?

MzMonka, Apr 19, 2013
  2. MzMonka

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

I do- not every week but sometimes when we go to the lake I take my dog there. We never knew he would actually swim because he usually gives us quite a bad time for taking shower. But, at the lake he was a pro. He went in by himself- swam- It was shocking for us to see him enjoy the water and having a great time.

schizophreniatype, Apr 21, 2013
  3. MzMonka

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer is always so cute, I'm sure it would be fun to see him swimming - but this will probably never happen since he hates water. Seeing the whole lake would be a nightmare for him, he would run away within seconds.

claudine, Apr 21, 2013
  4. MzMonka

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Well, we never officially took our dogs for a swim. However, one of them loved swimming anyway! When she was younger and we took her for walks, she would go to ponds in the park and dive in! Since she was not meant to do this we had to get her out again: normally we had to throw a ball or something to encourage her to come out. She tended to go back in later on though!

GavinMcresty, May 1, 2013
  5. MzMonka

trishgl Well-Known Member

I've read a lot of stories and articles about swimming as great exercise for dogs. Unfortunately we don't have a pool anywhere in the vicinity that would allow it. We do have a small collapsible one that is more for play than anything else as its only 2 feet deep.

trishgl, May 2, 2013
  6. MzMonka

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I started my dogs off with a small kiddie pool, that way I could tell which would actually swim and wouldn't. Once they got too big for it they tend to stand in the middle of it or lay down to cool off if we are out in the yard playing around during the summer. I actually have one that is still really low to the ground so she will splash around in it like she is swimming even though she can actually swim. I guess she is just trying to do her best with the smaller amount of water.

MzMonka, May 2, 2013
  7. MzMonka

claudine Well-Known Member

I heard that dogs don't have to learn how to swim and that every dog already knows how to do it - it's mostly because of the shape of their bodies. Is it true? I'm asking out of curiosity, I know that my Homer wouldn't enjoy swimming so I'll never make him try.

claudine, May 2, 2013
  8. MzMonka

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog does not want water that match as he even tries to hide when it is already his bathing time. So, I do not think that our dog would like swimming as he did not want to go out too.

zararina, Jun 1, 2013
Ask a Question