Survived the holidays with your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I finally have had a chance to get back to the forum. The holidays are a busy time for me and with my arthritis it tires me out.

Did you and your dog(s) survive the holiday season? I have to say that Misha did really well. We decorated and had some things at floor level. The packages were under the tree for most of the month. Misha had packages under the tree, too. She knew which ones they were and she visited them every day, but she never once tried to open them.

It did upset her routine quite a bit to have the furniture moved and a tree in the house. She got into a bit more trouble jumping on the furniture. She isn't allowed on the furniture without a human--and then she must be on a lap. We took the tree down last week and put everything back into its place. She's slowly getting back to normal.

For a dog who can get into things on a regular basis, it was a pleasant surprise that she did so well. I hope your four legged family members did well, too!

Melody, Jan 9, 2013
  2. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear Misha did so well
    We survived but I must say it wasn't easy for any of us. I really don't like Christmas, with my family it's simply a nightmare. And Homer hates my grandparents (he is not too fond of old people...) so he barked at them constantly:mad: . He can be really noisy sometimes:rolleyes:

claudine, Jan 9, 2013
  3. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Yes, Buddy and Oso manage to get through the holiday season without causing any problems like messing with the Christmas Tree or the presents. I have to admit that it did help that we kept a close on them while they were in doors. But this whole thing got us to thinking, we couldn't help but wonder what was their reaction to all of this. For example one moment there is a tree in the livinng room, then the next its gone again. We all know why this occurs but I have to wonder what a dogs perception of this is, and rather it confuses them.

pafjlh, Jan 10, 2013
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, we survived!

He's been around for several Christmases already, so I really don't think it was anything unusual for him. The most he had to "survive" was knowing that there were more treats in the bag, having a full tummy already, and not being allowed to have even more. Oh the horror! Hehe.

Jessi, Jan 12, 2013
  5. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Good to see your back Melody and have some more Misha tales.:)

I guess holiday season extends a fair way through our summer. Mishka is due for another haircut to cope with the ongoing heat. We did mange to get her to a beach to have a swim and play Frisbee but only the once unfortunately.:(

argon_0, Jan 13, 2013
  6. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Glad to be back, Argon. The holidays are a busy time for me especially with my arthritis. I tend to get really tired and have to stop doing some stuff to get the other stuff done.

Paf, it's interesting you ask that question. I noticed that Misha's behavior changed somewhat when the tree came into the house. She started jumping on the furniture for one thing. She is not allowed on the furniture except on a person's lap. She knows this. So, I think the whole tree in the living room thing made her a little more nervous.

As usual, she found something to be afraid of. My brother-in-law came over to remove the tree on the 1st. It was dripping wet on the base, so he stood it up in a box. As he dragged it across the carpet, Misha trembled in my arms. I guess trees aren't supposed to walk across the room. LOL I hope she doesn't get scared outside on windy days thinking the trees will come after her.

Melody, Jan 14, 2013
Ask a Question