Supplements for your dog may in fact harm him/her

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by trishgl, Jun 27, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

I've been noticing that a lot of dog owners seem to be fond of giving their pets supplements. I use to think that it probably would not cause any damage but after reading an article on Webmd it got me thinking. Accordingly excess Vitamin A in the body can harm our pet's blood vessels and cause joint pain as well as dehydration. I myself only give Chacha a supplement for her skin and coat as prescribed my the Vet. Do you give your dog supplements?

trishgl, Jun 27, 2013
  2. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

I don't give Homer any supplements, in my opinion he doesn't need them. His diet is well-balanced and I always make sure that he eats a lot of vegetables. Fortunately, he loves them. He is a very healthy dog, his hair is always shiny and he is so energetic:)

claudine, Jun 28, 2013
  3. trishgl

haopee Well-Known Member

I actually do. I give them Calcium Aid for dogs because that's what the vet recommended we give the dogs. It helps in skin problems and strengthens the bones. I think it's a rather effective dog vitamin.

Other than that, we're all good. I really don't need her to have extra soft and shiny coat, I just want my Chooey to have a happy and healthy life.

haopee, Jun 29, 2013
  4. trishgl

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I don't give my dog supplements either, I just try to feed him a balanced diet. He doesn't have any health problems.

ACSAPA, Jun 30, 2013
  5. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

We have never tried giving any supplement to our dogs. I believe that nutrients are better derived from natural food sources than man-made supplements.

zararina, Jul 2, 2013
Ask a Question