Supplements for dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by shdws, Jan 22, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Do you think adding supplements to a dog's diet is necessary or a good idea? I've read different opinions on this subject.

shdws, Jan 22, 2013
  2. shdws

zararina Well-Known Member

I do not think it is necessary as I think proper or healthy foods are enough. But it could also depends if it is advice by the vet based on the condition of the dog.

zararina, Jan 22, 2013
  3. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think that if you're buying super cheap food, that yes, you may want to add supplements. I would rather spend the extra money on a better food instead, though. The only exception might be if s/he has an illness and it's recommend to use a supplement.

It's actually part of the reason I make our dog's food.

Jessi, Jan 23, 2013
  4. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing Jessi, and I agree with you, might as well spend the extra money on good dog food. May I ask how it is you make your dogs food? What do you include in his diet?

shdws, Jan 24, 2013
  5. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

I make it like this: http://www.quirkycookery.com/2011/11/how-to-make-your-own-dog-food.html :)

I try to mix up the options of what I feed him, but I follow the same basic ratios of nutrients so I know he's getting what he needs.

Jessi, Jan 24, 2013
  6. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

It depends on a diet I guess. My Homer's food is balanced so he doesn't need any supplements. I just give him a lot of vegetables to be sure he gets what he needs:)

claudine, Jan 24, 2013
  7. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Jessi! I must say, that food looks real tasty lol. It looks like a human dish if you ask me.

shdws, Jan 25, 2013
  8. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

You're not alone. I can't tell you how many times I was in the middle of making a big batch of dog food up when the girls would come home from school and ask me what was for dinner because it looked/smelled so good, haha. It would be perfectly edible by humans, too....nothing bad in there. :)

Jessi, Jan 25, 2013
  9. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

I do. But not on a daily basis. I give Chooey this vitamin drink specially made for dogs. It was what the vet recommended to us and I continued giving it to her because it seemed to improved her overall health and bone structure.

[​IMG]
    Angel Drops Dog Vitamins

Natural Omega 3 is for the skin and coat while Calcium Aid helps in bone and muscle development as well as wound healing.

haopee, Jan 30, 2013
Ask a Question