Supplements added to food and treats?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I've notice more and more that companies are trying to entice us with dog food products that include supplements. I've seen DHA, chondroitin, glucosamine, L-carnitine, fish oil, and other supplements. I can see that these items might be helpful. I gave my elderly dog Glycoflex which helped with her arthritis.

I wonder if it's a good thing to give these supplements in their food. How would you know if you are giving them too much or not enough of a supplement to be useful? If the food gives them an upset stomach, it would be difficult to know what in the food is making them ill as more ingredients are included.

What do you think of supplementing this way? Do you think it helps theire overall health? Is it the latest gimmick?

Melody, Jun 12, 2012
  2. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of supplements. But I do give them vitamins whenever the vet requires me to, especially during vaccinations sessions and proper puppy growth. This is to help them recover from stress if in case they experience it.

I think if an owner decides to use vitamins or supplements, it's always the best choice to ask the veterinarian before trying them out. Here's are the ones I'm currently using.

[​IMG]
    Angel Drops Doggymin for a Shinier Coat, Enhanced Immune System and Cardiovascular Health

[​IMG]
    Here's the one I gave to Peanuts. Maybe that's the reason why she's so tall for Terrier.

These are being sold locally in our country and are highly recommended by most of the veterinarians here. If you're asking about effects, some of them are pretty good. It's a matter of choosing the right one for your dog with the help of your veterinarian's opinion.

haopee, Jun 13, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of supplement either and true that it is a trend now since making their product with supplements could sound enticing.
    I agree that to ensure if those products are really good, consulting a vet should be done.

zararina, Jun 13, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I prefer to take my veterinarian's advice on these things as well. She will recommend things from time to time that might aid my dog's health. I would trust that she wouldn't make me buy supplements that weren't necessary.

I wonder if the supplements survive food processing, too. How would you know if there is even enough in a serving to be of value?

Melody, Jun 13, 2012
Ask a Question