Sugared water for antidote to poison

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Corzhens, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

The title is somewhat misleading because what I want to say is the sugared water is good for a vomitting dog especially when there is a suspicion that it was poisoned. The sugared water neutralizes the potency of the venom. Another use of sugared water is when the dog has diarrhea, it gives energy so it will not feel so weak.

PS. My favorite dog Barbie was having diarrhea that started at midnight last night. From then on until 7:30 this morning, she had excreted 5 times with wet feces, obviously diarrhea. We gave her sugared water and after 5 minutes, she was able to eat breakfast. I hope she is okay now because 2 hours ago, the vet who makes house calls arrived and gave her a shot. It's already past lunch time and I our housemaid has not texted me yet, that means Barbie is okay.

Corzhens, Jun 24, 2016
  2. Corzhens

nytegeek Active Member

Oh I see, not a cure but a symptom treatment. That makes some sense. Sugared syrups like cola syrup poured over ice is an old remedy for human nausea so I can see how sugar water would work. It is a very similar remedy.

nytegeek, Jun 30, 2016
  3. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

That is good to know about sugared water!

I hope your Barbie is completely beaten whatever she had. It would be a terrible mess if Capone has diarrhea here :( but I guess we have to do what we must!

IcyBC, Jun 30, 2016
  4. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

Poor Barbie:( I hope she's better now! Please, keep us posted.

I didn't know that sugared water is good for vomiting and diarrhea. Thank you for the tip.

claudine, Jun 30, 2016
  5. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am glad Barbie is better. I also find the tip quite interesting. I feel like I might have seen it somewhere before but grateful about the reminder. I am always a little nervous about the dogs being poisoned. I still think my cat was.

Winterybella, Jun 30, 2016
  6. Corzhens

nytegeek Active Member

A very old remedy for nausea (for humans) is straight cola syrup over ice. Cola syrup is full of sugar. It is no wonder that sugar water would help animals.

nytegeek, Jul 8, 2016
Ask a Question