Strange ways your dog likes to be scratched or petted

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

My Lab liked me to do something different to her. She liked it if you grabbed her ears, pulled on them gently repeatedly like you were kneading dough. When I would do this, people would think I was hurting her, but she loved it. She'd put her head on my lap so that I would pull her ears. I guess she needed a good ear massage. I would do one ear and then the other.

Misha doesn't like her ears to be touched this way. She'll pull away if you try to do this.

Does your dog like to be scratch or petted in a strange way? Where is your dog's favorite spot?

Melody, Aug 16, 2012
  2. Melody

nikki Well-Known Member

My male likes between his ears and the female likes to be left alone. I used to have a shelter dog that liked his ears pulled as well. He didnt like anything else though and had to go to a home with no children or other animals.

nikki, Aug 16, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

My dog loves his ears pinched quickly and repetitively. At first, I thought it was an ear infection. Next, I thought it was hurting him because would make wailing sounds (Yes, as if he were in excruciating pain) and lower his ear to an extent that I couldn't pinch it anymore but when I stop he will look at me again and nudge his ear to my hands.

haopee, Aug 17, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

He really likes full-body "scruffies." As in, instead of rubbing or scratching an area and moving to the next... He loves when you're standing over the top of him and "scruffy" up and down quickly his entire body. He gets so excited.

Jessi, Aug 17, 2012
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, it sounds like your dog enjoys something similar to my Lab. When I would pull on her ear, she would grown. When I stopped, she would give me the look like "why are you stopping?"

She also liked her back to scratched really fast or to be patted like a drum right near her tail. You'd think the patting would sting a little, but she really liked it.

All Misha wants is her neck scratched repeatedly. Sometimes she likes the little fold on the outside of her ear (at the head) massaged. Just that one spot.

It's funny to see that each dog enjoys something different.

Melody, Aug 18, 2012
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My adorable dog loves this full-body massage from my boyfriend. He prefers to be petted very indelicately even though he is so little. I always worry that it could hurt him, but he is aways all right and very cheerful when he is being petted like this. He wants more and more:D . He also loves to be scratched between his ears.

claudine, Aug 22, 2012
  7. Melody

supergirl Active Member

I also always give my dog, Jessie, a doggy massage. She loves it. She's also a fan of being rubbed with your foot, which is ideal when I'm sitting on the sofa and watching TV. She licks her lips and closes her eyes and then rolls over to let you do the other side. She's a bit of a tummy rub fanatic, rolling over for just about anyone who will give her some attention.

supergirl, Aug 24, 2012
Ask a Question