Stairs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by pilot2fly, Sep 27, 2012.

1. pilot2fly

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Our 10 year old Shih Tzu recently started hesitating when going up and down the stairs in our house. She still does it, but she looks down for a few seconds before going. Could this be joint problems? If not, what?

pilot2fly, Sep 27, 2012
  2. pilot2fly

haopee Well-Known Member

Have you checked her eyes? Shih Tzus are prone to eye problems especially with their long fur on their nuzzles. You should also consider visual problems since she is 10 now.

By the way, Trixie is so cute and adorable. I've always wondered how some Shih Tzus can keep their fur color dark. Ours usually have fur that grow lighter as they grow old.

haopee, Sep 28, 2012
  3. pilot2fly

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

A less likely cause is maybe heart issues? She might be getting winded trying to use the steps.

OhioTom76, Sep 29, 2012
  4. pilot2fly

Thanks for the replies guys. I know Shih Tzu's have lots of health problems when they get old. I'll look into what you guys suggested. Trixie has kept her color, but I've seen some gray come in too.

pilot2fly, Sep 29, 2012
  5. pilot2fly

argon_0 Well-Known Member

That may be the case.Get her checked out.
    Mishka hesitates climbing the stairs at night. I think for her it's a visual problem which is caused by the LED lights we use at night but nevertheless ,a visual problem.

argon_0, Sep 30, 2012
  6. pilot2fly

Jessi Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. It could be a few different things that are causing her to hesitate. Her vision, her heart, her joints.... even just her balance. If she has any inner ear issues, it could throw off her balance some and make her more hesitant to head straight down the stairs.

Jessi, Sep 30, 2012
  7. pilot2fly

Yeah I can tell when I put food down on the floor individually sometimes, it takes her a few seconds to find it. She looks all over the place and I sometimes have to end up pointing to the food so she sees it. She can still see, but she is probably having a bit of vision loss as you guys said.

pilot2fly, Sep 30, 2012
  8. pilot2fly

haopee Well-Known Member

By the way, are there white spots on her eyes. Sometimes, Buchi can have white areas on his eyes but they are curable with steroidal eye ointment. Just have it checked out as it's always better safe than sorry.

Trixie is certainly a cutie. What are you feeding her. By the way, I am unsure if Shih Tzus are prone to PRA (progressive retinal atropy) but you might as well check it out.

haopee, Oct 1, 2012
  9. pilot2fly

claudine Well-Known Member

Recently I noticed that Homer hesitated when going up stairs a few times too. It makes me worry.We have many stairs in our home and usually he runs up and down really fast. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any eye problems. Maybe it's something with his legs?

claudine, Apr 22, 2013
  10. pilot2fly

MzMonka Well-Known Member

He might just be trying to get his speed up. Some little dogs have to take a moment and get a running start or might be trying to make up their mind whether or not they really want to go up all those stairs. Watch him when he is walking around and see if he is walking differently. If you are really worried about it you can call your vet and let them know what is going on.

MzMonka, Apr 22, 2013
  11. pilot2fly

Fortunately he doesn't walk differently:)
    But yesterday he couldn't go up stairs at all, he started to bark because he wanted somebody to help him:( . It happened in the evening...maybe he was just tired or sleepy? During the day he didn't have any problems and he ran up and down a few times. Today everything is fine too.

claudine, Apr 24, 2013
  12. pilot2fly

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree that it could be health issues due to the old age of your dog. She might have eye problem already and getting tired easily.

zararina, Apr 24, 2013
  13. pilot2fly

Mishka seems to have difficulty at night with getting upstairs. I do think it's some sort of eye problem I should get checked out next time I visit the vet.
    During the day she runs so fast up and down but at night she pokes her head under each step rise of our staircase.:confused:

argon_0, Apr 25, 2013
  14. pilot2fly

I hope Homer was just sleepy; the lights were on so it wasn't dark and I think that he saw the stairs.
    But maybe I'll visit the vet too, just to make sure that everything is okay.

claudine, Apr 25, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  15. pilot2fly

I thought I would google this seemingly night time seeing condition and I found this article. It may not be what either of our dogs are having difficulty with but it's worth asking the vet at some stage.
    http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/10267865.asp

argon_0, Apr 26, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  16. pilot2fly

Thank you for sharing this article, it's really interesting! I'll definitely ask the veterinarian about it.
    Yesterday, Homer didn't have any problems with getting upstairs and he got really angry when I was trying to carry him:p

claudine, Apr 26, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  17. pilot2fly

Homer you are so funny. Always giving claudine so much to contemplate. You definitely have a mind of your own. :D

argon_0, Apr 27, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  18. pilot2fly

Oh yes, Homer makes sure that I can never be bored with him:p
    He is sleeping on his couch now so he didn't have to run upstairs. But maybe he'll do it later in the evening - I plan to observe him.

claudine, Apr 27, 2013
  19. pilot2fly

Ah! So Homer also has his own couch. Mishka loves hers. When my daughter and her boy friend comes over she can get a bit narky if they sit on it. She is required to sit on her rug on the floor and is quite indignant. We do change the couch cover sheet for their visit though.
    How does Homer cope with people sitting on his couch? I bet he doesn't. :)

argon_0, Apr 28, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  20. pilot2fly

No one can sit on his couch:p . We aren't even allowed to get too close to it. Some time ago I wanted to clean the cushions - he didn't let me:eek:
    It's funny that dogs have their favorite furniture:)
    Oh, and maybe it's not exactly "normal" but Homer has not only a couch but also his own room - it's very small though and he rarely sleeps there.

claudine, Apr 29, 2013
Ask a Question