Special Needs Rescue Dog Eats from High Chair

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Annie is a Border collie mix, and by all outward appearances looks like your average, every day collie. She like to take hikes and go for long walks, loves to play fetch and enjoys just hanging around with her adopted sister, Maisie. Sounds like a typical dog, right?

You really wouldn’t notice right away, but Annie is a special needs rescue dog. Eating while standing on all four paws is something Annie has trouble with. Annie’s human mom, Elizabeth Nash says that Annie has megaesophagus. It’s a condition that causes enlargement of the esophagus. This condition prevents the development of esophageal muscles, which aid in the ingestion and digestion of food.

When her humans adopted her in April of 2013 from the Adams County Animal Shelter in Colorado, Annie was to fill the shoes of a recently passed rescue pup named Holly.

Annie was two-years-old when she was found by the rescue group abandoned by her previous owners. A very short time after being available for adoption, Nash decided to bring Annie into her home as an addition to the family. The first day she was in Nash’s care, they spent the day at the vet’s office trying to find out why Annie wasn’t eating properly. That’s when she was given her diagnosis.

Nash knew that a special needs dog would not be an easy undertaking. Regardless, Nash adopted Annie and couldn’t be happier for the decision.

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2014/09/special-needs-rescue-dog-eats-from-high-chair/

Trellum, Sep 11, 2014
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have read about this dog a while ago, and watched the video too. I was amazed at how devoted these human parents to her, and I was touched at the care they gave her. Just wonderful to know there are big hearts out there in the world.

IcyBC, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Trellum

I agree, I am glad the owners of this dog didn't join to the majority who abandons a dog when the dog ends up disabled. People like this make me gain back a bit more faith in humanity.

Trellum, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Anne and Annie!! Beautiful story. And everyone is so right about the large-heartedness of those people who took her in. It's really wonderful to know that she was not abandoned a second time. I often wish I could do more. I am quietly worrying about a situation where a careless breeding occurred at my family's house that produced 13 pups three of which have already died. I am hearing a few more are unwell. I am so lost as to what to do...:(

Winterybella, Sep 2, 2015
  5. Trellum

Your family's house??? What you mean? some relatives are breeding dogs? Oh man, 13 puppies sound like to many puppies D: I feel so bad whenever I heard someone has an outdoor cat or dog that just had babies.... I immediately think of them as stray... having the hardest time during summer... trying to find food and water :( Breaks my heart. I'm glad my girl is fixed.

Trellum, Sep 3, 2015
Ask a Question