Special Needs Dog Doesn't Know it is Disabled

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

This is a great story. This dog was hit by a car and abandoned. It was found several days later barely surviving in an alley. An animal rescue group took the dog in, paid for the surgeries, and started his rehab. He is paralyzed in both back legs. But, he doesn't seem to it!

This is his story. It was on the news the other night:
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=8815682#&cmp=fb-kgo-article-8815682

And, here he is in his wheel chair playing with other dogs:

Look how fast he can go! Hard to believe a dog in a wheel chair can play like this.

A disabled dog can still lead a full life. He's waiting for someone to adopt him. Hopefully, he'll find a home soon.

Melody, Sep 21, 2012
    Becky likes this.
  2. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Very cute dog, I hope that the feels really all right now and I hope that he'll be adopted son too. He deserves a loving owner!

claudine, Sep 21, 2012
  3. Melody

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

There's an account on Facebook called Wonky Dogs, they tend to deal with animals in similar situations. The thing with animals is, they don't have the same coping mechanisms that we do, so as long as they're able to do the things they want to, they don't let handicaps stop them from doing ANYTHING, and they certainly don't grumble about things either. They're little packages of awesome.

I need to see if I can find the photo, but I've seen a dog with NO front legs, running on his hindquarters as if he were human. He's completely bi-pedal, absolutely amazing.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 21, 2012
  4. Melody

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

This just made my day. Thank you for sharing. It's also nice to see that the other dogs don't seem to be affected by the dog wheelchair either.

OhioTom76, Sep 21, 2012
  5. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this story. It's nice to see that the rescue team chose not to give up on this dog, but chose to save him instead of putting him down. What a cute dog, and the fact that he doesn't give up is truly inspirational. I hope he finds a good home with someone who can appreciate what a brave dog he really is.

pafjlh, Sep 21, 2012
  6. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

EvilSprinkles, my Vet explained it to me like this when my dog went in for her amputation "Dogs don't sit around and feel sorry for themselves like humans. Their survival instinct kicks in and they do what is necessary." I think that is very true. A human given the same set of circumstances might spend weeks, months, or years feeling bad about it. A dog (or other animal) in the same set of circumstances realizes they must do something to survive.

I saw it with my Lab. She was walking (though not very well) 7 hours after her amputation. She really wasn't supposed to but the Vet Tech let her. My Dad and I both broke down crying in the lobby of the Veterinary clinic. It was like a Disney film. :) Even after such an ordeal, her desire to get up and go home was very strong.

The well known dog with no front paws is named Faith. That is another remarkable story. I remember reading how the owner got Faith to walk on two legs. She took her out in the snow. Each time Faith laid down, the coldness of the snow made her spring back up. Eventually, walking upright became natural for her.

Pafjlh, I think it shows the only barrier to helping some dogs is money. Of course, sometimes, we cannot help them medically. Unfortunately, many families with a similar problem might put the dog to sleep because they don't have the thousands of dollars needed for surgery. I'm glad this dog was saved. It obviously is enjoying life.

Melody, Sep 22, 2012
Ask a Question