Some dogs chew up the wrong things

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I think we've all experienced this at one time or another. You come up to a shoe that no longer looks like a shoe, a book that's been shredded, and so forth. I remember the time I came home to find that my sister had stopped by to look something up in the address book. She left it on the kitchen table within reach of my Lab. When I came home there were address book pages all over the living room. What a mess! :D

I kept a much more watchful eye on Misha. The only thing she destroyed was a zipper on my sweat jacket. She chewed on it while I was on the phone and not paying attention.

But, none of my experiences compare to this. This woman's dog ate her inheritance checks! $49,000 worth, to be exact. She left them on the table and the dog assumed they were for him. She did get them replaced eventually, but had a big hassle with the Bank over the issue. Luckily, she didn't have to produce evidence. :p

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=8354849

What's the worst possession your dog chewed up?

Melody, Jul 5, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Good thing that they had finally get the money and train their baby.
    I think the worst my puppy had chewed before was my newly bought sandals. I just bought it the night during those days and found out it was torn already in the morning. :p

zararina, Jul 6, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Oh, shoot. That's just awful. I remember one of my partner's sister's retriever eating a 1000 peso bill (roughly $22). They caught him chewing the last half of it so it was no longer replaceable.

At least, she was still able to to get the money back because it was in forms of accounts and checks. I wonder what would've happened if the adorable little scottie ate the real money. Either way, it's a good thing the scottie is alright. It's just so scary when they're caught eating something they shouldn't be.

haopee, Jul 6, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Dogs must like money. I remember the time my Lab, a notorious thief, stole money from my sister. Everybody was warned and warned again not to put important stuff on the ground. Stealing was my Lab's one weakness.

My sister put her purse on the ground, Sierra walked up and put her head inside. She pulled out a $20 out of the purse and ran around the house. It was hilarious watching three of us chase the dog all over the house! We did get it back. It was slobbery, but spendable.

Melody, Jul 6, 2012
  5. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yikes!! I'm so glad she was able to get the checks reissued. That would've been horrible! I definitely know the pain of having a dog chew up things they shouldn't have gotten a hold of.

Jessi, Jul 6, 2012
  6. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

We were given a very beautiful floor rug of some value my someone who used it as a prayer rug and was leaving the state and did not want to carry it around. A lovely parting gift. We decided to chance putting it upstairs where we thought we could keep an eye on it.:rolleyes:
    Mishka chewed the tassels off one end. We have now put it in a room she has no access to.

argon_0, Jul 7, 2012
  7. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

The worst that happened to me was the time Benjamas decided that my glasses were delicious. I always put them on the top shelf before I sleep. She must have watched me doing that many times and decided to climb the shelves when I was asleep.

Oh yes, Benjamas can climb very well. She's a Poodle and very agile. Climbing a wire fence is no big deal for her. So the next morning, I had to pay a visit to the optical shop to get a new frame for my glasses.

Victor Leigh, Jul 10, 2012
  8. Melody

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I can't imagine having lost that much money!! I have three dogs and one actually has never chewed anything other than her own toys. The other two however, well let's just say we have to "Kash-proof" the house before bed and kennel her if we leave. The worst thing (for her) that she ever chewed was a pack of cigarettes overnight. There was also the time I went out for an hour and didn't kennel her, I came home to her and Koko rolling around in the hay they had spread throughout the apartment. They had taken the chinchillas hay bag (5 pounds) and shredded it!

pugskjj, Jul 10, 2012
  9. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

$49,000:eek: Wow, this is a lot of money. Homer once stole a bank note from me but I managed to get it back, I offered him a piece of carrot in exchange before he managed to tear it up. A carrot is definitely more delicious than paper:D

claudine, May 25, 2013
  10. Melody

TheBrit Active Member

Never ever had a problem with any of the dogs I've had over the years with chewing, other than when they're going through the puppy stage and trying to lose their baby teeth. They've all had the usual doggy toys and chews and have been quite happy with those.

TheBrit, May 28, 2013
  11. Melody

TheBrit Active Member

Reference the dog chewing. Many dogs chew out of boredom, normally when their owners are out.
    However another reason is often to alleviate something that is worrying him. If your dog chews up things for no apparent reason, especially if he also shakes his head or scratches his ears he could be suffering from ear mites.

The constant irritation causes him to chew trying to take his mind off the problem. It's a bit like humans suffering tinnitus, background music, or concentrating on another task helps take the mind off of the constant buzzing.

TheBrit, Jun 7, 2013
  12. Melody

trishgl Well-Known Member

I don't really know what triggers chacha chewing on things but if its shoes or flip flops that belong to my sister-in-law she is all over it. She does not exhibit this behavior though with other people's things just hers. She also loves to chew newly laundered socks. Just the socks and not other clothing. We read in an article that it could be because she needed more physical activity so we endeavor to walk her twice a day to drain her excess energy and relieve boredom.

trishgl, Jun 7, 2013
  13. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer doesn't really chew shoes, usually he just sleeps on them.
    The only time when he was interested in chewing things that I wear was when he found my skirt. He was a puppy back then and apparently it was fun for him. He chewed some of the fabric, fortunately he didn't swallow any!

claudine, Jun 7, 2013
Ask a Question