Snow

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

How does your dog feel about the snow? Does s/he tolerate it and come back inside immediately? Do they play in it? Does it freak them out and they refuse to touch it?

Jessi, Oct 21, 2012
    Becky and claudine like this.
  2. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Another one of those Corgi pictures. It's just so cool how talented these dogs can be. Did he seriously do that on a snow day?

I'm sure Peanuts would be wondering why it's so cold and she would ran all over the place... just like the first time I brought her to a really wide grassland. She was ecstatic!

haopee, Oct 22, 2012
  3. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

My dog loves the snow. He always puts his whole head in it - I have no idea why - and when he does that, he is constantly wagging his tail, it's so cute. He has the ears of a bat - extremely big - so he looks very funny when he is covered with snow:D

claudine, Oct 22, 2012
  4. Jessi

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

It rarely snows here on the coast of North Carolina. However, Trixie has fun playing in it. I don't think she ever gets used to it. She often has to hop like a rabbit if the snow is thick enough. The only problem is that snow will get stuck in her hair and we have to use a blow dryer to clean it off and warm her up.

pilot2fly, Oct 22, 2012
  5. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka loves the snow and we have loads of fun throwing snow balls BUT if she is inside and it goes quiet and starts to snow she goes and hides under a bed AND when the snow starts melting and it thumps from the upstairs roof to the lower level roof again she is terrified.

argon_0, Oct 23, 2012
  6. Jessi

iluvmario Well-Known Member

What a cute pic lol. My dogs just tolerate snow. I can tell they don't like the cold and run back inside when there is snow on the ground. to be fair however I have never tried to get them to play in the snow. I will try this year, we should be getting snow by next month.

iluvmario, Oct 27, 2012
  7. Jessi

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs love snow. They love to chase snowballs (and eat them). They also love licking at the ice, and just running through the snow. You can see the change of attitude when they see snow on the ground, too, they're like little kids on a snow day, and suddenly go running throughout the yard like mad, with the biggest puppy-grins possible. The big dog also loves destroying snowmen (which would be bad if we had little kids in the house, luckily we're all grown now, so for us grown humans it's fun to build a snowman then watch the big dog attack it having the time of his life.)

Nick87, Nov 24, 2012
  8. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No idea really. That's mainly because there is no snow here. However there's plenty of rain in lieu. My dogs seem to be firmly divided into two camps when it comes to rain. One group thinks that rain doesn't exist. This group can actually stand in the rain like nothing is happening. The other group thinks that rain is fun. But strictly for watching only.

Victor Leigh, Nov 25, 2012
  9. Jessi

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Because I live in south Phoenix Arizona my dogs have never experienced snow. So, I have no idea how they would react to it. I did have a dog who really didn't like rain, he especially didn't like mud.

pafjlh, Nov 25, 2012
  10. Jessi

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

That clip is adorable! I wish my dog was able to do that, lol. Instead, the just runs around and rolls around in the snow. I tried to build him a snow fort but he trampled it and then peed on it, so I'm assuming he didn't want one :p I think it confuses him though because he really does not like to take baths or to go out in the rain, and so once the snow begins to melt and he feels the water, he becomes angry and starts running around to dry it off. But while he's playing in it he enjoys it - unless we're going for a walk, because then it hurts his feet.

bellahpereira, Nov 26, 2012
  11. Jessi

gwydion New Member

We had a Welsh Sheepdog who loved snow. If there was a deep drift she'd dive head-first into it. Partly that's natural inclination, but partly it's breeding and selection as well. These dogs were bred in the Welsh mountains to help locate and then to dig sheep out of snow-drifts. The same is partly true of corgis, though they were more bred for cattle herding rather than sheep.

gwydion, Nov 28, 2012
Ask a Question