Snake Season Yet Again

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Dec 1, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I dread summer if only for snakes and brushfires. It's been that kind of weather with many fires burning out of control all around the state of Tasmania.:(
    Snakes are out and about and I fear every year for my lovely Mishka. I was out walking this morning and Mishka just about walk onto a basking snake.:eek: I screamed out to her and bit my tongue doing so. I was so panicky.
    All was well and we continued our walk and returned back only to hear Mishka give a loud yelp. I quickly looked about and couldn't see a snake slide away so guessed she stood on something sharp.I kept a close eye on her and gave a quick thought of the huge expense of doggie anti-venom.
    It's estimated as many as 60,000 dog's are bitten every year in Australia with about 15,000 fatalities. Australia is home to some of the deadliest snakes on earth.
    I think I will start using a lead to take her for her bush walks.
    Does anyone else have to be ever vigilant for snakes in the garden or out and about?

argon_0, Dec 1, 2012
  2. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

This sound so awful, I would be worried sick if there were snakes in my area:eek: . I'm scared of them and my Homer is very aggressive so I'm sure he would attack every sneak who would cross our patch. Fortunately, in my country we don't have these awful creatures. I hope everything will be alright!

claudine, Dec 1, 2012
  3. argon_0

It is nerve wrecking to think your beloved pet is vulnerable. Snake bites are second only to road trauma in Australia.
    I would have thought snakes are in every country except Saint Patrick's Ireland and New Zealand.
    What country would you be in if you don't mind me asking?

argon_0, Dec 1, 2012
  4. argon_0

I live in Poland. We have vipers here but I've never seen one, I guess they're really rare - fortunately. Oh, and we have grass snakes - also extremely rare - but they're completely harmless.

claudine, Dec 2, 2012
  5. argon_0

Poland.I have always imagined being such a cold place but I guess you have hot fast summers when everything happens at once. I bet you do a fair amount of ice skating. Can Homer skate? When we have frozen puddles I throw stones on them so Mishka chases them and slips and slides on the ice.:D

argon_0, Dec 2, 2012
  6. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

That is really scary, Argon! Do you have problems with them getting on your property or is it only when you go for walks that you must be vigilant?

We have snakes in California. The rattler snake is probably the most notable dangerous snake. Thankfully, we don't find them around her. Usually, we have small, garden snakes that are not dangerous. I remember seeing a couple on my walks with Misha.

There are other parts of the state that have dangerous snakes. Usually you find them in the hotter, drier parts of the state or the more secluded areas like up in the mountains. My brother's in-laws have a second home in a place near Sacramento, CA. They find snakes in the garage periodically. I think I would freak out!

I will tell you my funny snake. This happened several years ago. My Mom is terrified of many creatures and snakes are on top of her list. I was in the house when I heard her screaming on the top of her lungs. Snake! Snake! I got the dog in the house and went to look. This terrifying snake was about the length and width of a pencil. LOL My Mom was trembling after she ran back in the house. My Dad took it over to the school yard across the street. My Mom wouldn't go outside the rest of the day. (You know, in case it returned...LOL)

Melody, Dec 3, 2012
  7. argon_0

Homer loves the snow but he isn't too fond of ice:p I don't know why:p
    During spring and summer it's warm here. Sometimes even 40 degrees Celsius (but only sometimes).

Lol! But I'm sure I'd do the same thing. I'm terrified of snakes. I can't even look at the pictures of them:eek:

claudine, Dec 3, 2012
  8. argon_0

Snakes are everywhere here. One time I had 5 in one of my fenced gardens of of which are poisonous.
    It was then I decided to do something about it and do a snake handling course. Up until then I was terrified of snakes and years before I had a dread so much I couldn't even walk in the bush.
    It's now Mishka I fear for.
    My mother is like that. She can't even look at a picture. If you can you should try to bury that fear Claudine. I reckon you will probably never have an accident with a snake and are quite safe.
    I've wondered about that fear. My mother gave it to me.

argon_0, Dec 4, 2012
  9. argon_0

I think I'll always be afraid of them. I don't know why. They're just so scary:eek: Could you tell us more abut this snake handling course?
    If there were snakes in my area, I think I'd walk with Homer only through the streets, where is smaller possibility of meeting one. It would be a horror for me to let him play in the grass:( . Snakes are so awful:(

claudine, Dec 4, 2012
  10. argon_0

The course I did was through what is known as Adult Education, a system where short and longer courses of various kinds from painting to massage, Thai cooking to snake handling is made available to adults and subsidised by the government. The courses are available most of the year and dependent on available tutors in their particular area. The one I did was by a museum's herpetology expert who put it on as a day course some years ago. Before I knew it I was standing around with snakes crawling over my boots. If you stand still its fine. :eek: Believe me I was nervous but soon got used to it.
    If you are interested if courses are done in your part of Europe I would try contacting [email protected]<[email protected]>;
    or
    http://www.warsawtour.pl/en/tourist-attractions/warsaw-zoo-1907.html
    From my own experience, herpetologist would love to remove the bad press snakes have.:)

argon_0, Dec 5, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  11. argon_0

Thank you for sharing these information! I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try to get rid of my snake phobia though:p . I'm pretty sure I would run away if I saw snakes crawling over my boots:eek::eek:

claudine, Dec 5, 2012
  12. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

I am also scared of snakes in the wild and good thing that it was not an issue or a problem here in our place. A single small sanke could already scared me. LOL

zararina, Dec 6, 2012
  13. argon_0

Believe me they still send shivers down my spine but I think I have that underlying fear just under control.:confused:
    I found a 4 foot 6 inch snake skin the other day still intact 40 metres from our house. Now that makes me feel nervous for Mishka.:eek:
    [​IMG]

argon_0, Dec 7, 2012
  14. argon_0

Oh my, this is awful:eek: . I hope that the snake who left it is already far, far away from your home. A snake this big probably can move fast. I wish somebody invented something that would scare off all of the snakes from the areas where people live.

claudine, Dec 7, 2012
  15. argon_0

From my experience snakes live around their home/hole and don't venture too far except looking for water on a hot day.

It's recommended here to not leave bowls of water around near your house. It's all a bit too late here really. I have a sink and taps on the back verandah to wash after being in the garden. On day a snake was up in it perhaps getting a drink. As soon as I came along it lept out and then leapt again off the back verandah. It scared be stiff and I think the snake was freaked out also.:eek:

argon_0, Dec 8, 2012
  16. argon_0

I bet it was. But I'd be more scared than the snake. I would have a heart attack:eek: . Why snakes aren't scared of dogs? It would be great if snakes prefer to stay away from the areas protected by dogs.
    Maybe it's silly, but I can't imagine a snake drinking - do they put only their tongue into the water or the whole head?:p

claudine, Dec 8, 2012
  17. argon_0

I'm really not sure how snakes drink.As far as I know the tongue is for smelling the air. I just googled and they use a sponge type action in their mouths to do so. If you wish you can read it here...http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21328524.900-snakes-use-sponge-action-to-drink.html
    Because dogs are quiet when they walk or run it's possible that they can run over the top of the snake without even knowing. We can only hope Mishka is away far enough if the snake makes a strike.:eek:
    I took Mishka for a walk early this morning before the ground warms up and the snakes are out.

argon_0, Dec 10, 2012
  18. argon_0

Thank you for he info. How often do you take Mishka for a walk? If only once a day then it really is a great idea to do this early in the morning. I hope everything will be okay!:) Are snakes active all year long in your area?

claudine, Dec 10, 2012
  19. argon_0

Fortunately they go dormant for 5 months of the year.
    This morning I took Mishka for an early walk and was fortunate at the time she was behind me as I startled a snake off the track with my heavy footsteps. I was very nervous after that as I had the sun in my eyes on the way home and couldn't see a ting. I think I really must start using a lead to walk her.

I took this not so good photo yesterday on our walk on one of the trails on my property. The sun was still low.
    [​IMG]

argon_0, Dec 12, 2012
  20. argon_0

This must be nerve racking, it ruins all the pleasure you could have from walking:( . Taking a dog for a walk should be fun:(
    Mishka looks so happy with this stick in her mouth!:D

claudine, Dec 12, 2012
Ask a Question