Sleeping in your bed

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, May 19, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I thought there was a thread about this already, but I couldn't find it, so maybe not.

Do you let your dogs sleep in your bed? Do they sleep with you, or just when you're not there? How do you deal with the hair situation?

Jessi, May 19, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  2. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

I have always let the dogs up on my bed during the day. They lay on it whenever they choose. But, sleep time, the bed is mine! Misha has a nice comfy bed with her favorite blanket. She doesn't need my bed, too.

I combat the hair issue two ways. I have an old sheet that I put on the bed during the day time. I don't sleep with it. I roll it up at night, then put it back on in the morning.

Also, Misha has a tent bed. I put that on top of the bed with her blankets. That solves the problem of small dogs who love to be up on the highest point in the room. Most of the time she would rather sleep in there than on my bed since she loves to burrow.

My bed is the only piece of furniture the dogs are allowed on. I've been able to train them that the couch and other furniture are off limits, but my bed is okay.

Melody, May 20, 2012
  3. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Well done for ensuring Misha follows your rules. Our Mishka is not allowed on any bed or furniture except for the couch and cushion designated for her. Like you, we use a sheet to cover it and this seems to keep doggy hair and smell down.I have visited people who allow dogs to sit on their furniture. Being asthmatic the doggy smell takes my breath away, so whenever I visit I choose to sit on a chair. They love their pooches and It's their home and they can do what ever they like.:)

argon_0, May 20, 2012
  4. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

I used to have a dog that sleeps in my bed whenever I am not at home. Even she has her own sleeping area, she will still want to sleep in my bed. And no matter she could see me angry and no matter how many times I told her do not do it, she stills sleep in my bed.
    I have a wooden bed so hair/pur issue is easy to dealt with.

zararina, May 20, 2012
  5. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

I've always had small dogs and have always allowed them to sleep on my bed. It’s no inconvenience. Because of their size they actually find it difficult to jump up on their own as I have quite a high mattress. One of my childhood dogs used to stand up on her high legs as a signal she wanted to be lifted onto the bed. :)

Of course my dogs have always had their own beds which they sleep in during the day but for some reason they prefer sleeping on the end of mine at night. The same childhood dog I mentioned earlier used to lie diagonally and took up far too much space for such a small dog.:rolleyes:

tajnz, Jun 4, 2012
  6. Jessi

Ja'cobeC Member

I would never let my dog sleep in my bed because he sleep too bad lol. He sleep worst than a baby at night, a lot of moving around. If you have one that don't act crazy in bed then you can do it I guess.

Ja'cobeC, Jun 4, 2012
  7. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I share my bed with my dogs. That's mainly because I have no one else to share my bed with. Interestingly, my dogs would only sleep on the bed when they are young. As they grow older, they will sleep under the bed. Without being told to. Actually, they don't sleep when I am sleeping. They are just under the bed on guard duty. I know because I have peeked at them once in a while and they looked back at me with a quizzical look like asking,

"Why aren't you sleeping instead of peeking under the bed?"

Victor Leigh, Jun 5, 2012
  8. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

I've established the no getting up the bed rule. Besides, Peanuts has her own comfy couch. The only reason she would want to sleep in the bed is because I sleep there but when it comes to softness, the couch is way softer than the bed.

She did however try looking cute half lying on the bed awhile back. She was standing on her hind legs while half of her body was leaning on the bed and lying on my pillow. As much as I was tempted to leave her alone enjoying my pillows, I had to resist because her fur sometimes get stuck in our throats and that could spell disaster.

haopee, Jun 5, 2012
  9. Jessi

You have discovered the secret of dogs sleeping on the bed now. It's not the bed that they are really interested in. It's you. If you sleep on the floor, they will sleep on the floor with you. I know because I have done that.

Victor Leigh, Jun 6, 2012
  10. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I don't think my little girl is too interested in the bed. She seems rather content with staying on the floor...when I get her on my bed, she always wants to get down and whatnot. Maybe she just prefers staying away from higher terrain?

NewDCD, Jun 6, 2012
  11. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Let's just hope that's true. Because yesterday, we caught her sleeping in my bed and taking a stretch while we were out visiting a couple of friends.

Awhile ago, I caught her enjoying the softness of my foam while I had been taking a bath. Seriously, it feels like the moment she heard me punching the keys of being proud she doesn't get up the bed, she begun to initiate testing my reaction to it.:mad:

haopee, Jun 9, 2012
  12. Jessi

I think she is just guarding your bed to make sure that no one sleeps in it. See? You have a very good watch dog there.

Victor Leigh, Jun 9, 2012
  13. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

I applaud your optimism but I don't think it were a great idea for me to have them stay on top of my bed because when they shed profusely, their fur can be everywhere especially since Peanuts is a Parson Russel Terrier mix. They have to be hand stripped weekly just to keep their fur from spreading all over the place.

And no matter how much I can say my asthma is gone, there are still instances that having fur stuck in the throat can keep me awake at night.

Have you ever experienced having fur stuck in your throat?

haopee, Jun 13, 2012
  14. Jessi

Yes, I have. Not exactly a pleasant experience. However that does not stop me from loving all my dogs, fur and all. It's kind of like being part of the whole process of owning a dog. For me, that is.

Victor Leigh, Jun 13, 2012
  15. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

It is actually. And I'm fine with that. I've dealt with this by constantly sweeping and vacuuming my room. :D

My beau had fur stuck on his throat for a week that it gave him a sore throat and fever because of the infection. The doctor had to pluck it out with tweezers.

Hopefully that doesn't happen to us.

haopee, Jun 15, 2012
  16. Jessi

Whoa! That's an unpleasant experience alright. Quite odd, too. Dog fur doesn't really look that sharp to my eyes.

Victor Leigh, Jun 15, 2012
Ask a Question