Sleep? What's that?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Liindra, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Liindra

Liindra New Member

Brief background: I have a little Chihuahua mix dog, who was a rescue, so I don't know anything about his background. He was a puppy when I got him - the only reason I know this is because he's grown in the past year since I rescued him. Overall, he's a good dog. He's listened to me since day one and all that good stuff. He's happy as long as he's hanging out with me and has always slept in bed with me. Now, on to what I need advice on:

Recently, my boyfriend and I rearranged our bedroom, which basically involved moving the bed to the opposite side of the room. When we did that, it was like my dog forgot how to jump up on the bed and started sitting at the side in the middle of the night, whining, until I pick him up. To be fair, it is kind of high up off the ground, and so I tried to fix the problem by putting a chair on the side of the bed. I worked with him a few nights, training him how to jump from the floor, to chair, to bed and that resolved the problem... Mostly. Because sometimes he will still stand at the side of the bed and act like he doesn't know how to jump up on to either the chair or the bed. I'll try to call him up, but what he will do is act like he's going to jump on to the chair or bed, but then stop like he forgot how to do it. He won't stop whining until I pick him up and place him on the bed. As much as I'd like to not indulge the behavior, I also like sleep, and I can't sleep through him whining in the middle of the night. This has been going on for probably a month or so now.

Has anyone experienced something similar this? Does anyone have any suggestions as to why he might be doing this and how to stop it?

Liindra, Aug 7, 2013
  2. Liindra

claudine Well-Known Member

I think that he is just a little confused when he wakes up in the middle of night and he doesn't see the bed in the place where it used to stand in the past. It's possible that he needs some time to adjust, so be patient with him. I know that it's not easy though, my dog wakes me up too, lately he has been pretty active after sunset:confused:

claudine, Aug 11, 2013
  3. Liindra

zararina Well-Known Member

I also think that he might just need more time to adjust due to the change of position of the bed. Maybe more chairs could help. :D

zararina, Aug 11, 2013
  4. Liindra

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

He'll eventually get used to where the bed is. You might have to work with training him with the chair more, during waking hours, of course.

ACSAPA, Aug 19, 2013
  5. Liindra

TheBrit Active Member

Is it possible he has a slight muscle pull or strain? Not bad enough to be noticeable when he is just walking about but giving him a twinge when he has to tense the muscles to jump on the chair or bed.

TheBrit, Aug 21, 2013
Ask a Question