Sleep under blanket?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Does your dog ever sleep under the blankets?

Is it only when they cuddle you in bed, or do they get under them themselves?

Jessi, Oct 1, 2012
  2. Jessi

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I have had dogs lay on top of a blanket, especially when they are in the house. We have also placed blankets in their dog houses in the winter months, but I have never known one to actually get under the blankets. With that in mind I think that photo is too adorable, this dog looks as if he is totally comfortable and actually saying the words that are captioned here.

pafjlh, Oct 1, 2012
  3. Jessi

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

We put what we call a "Trixie Towel" down on the floor for her to sleep on. She seems to love sleeping on towels. They are hers only, we don't actually use them for anything else.

pilot2fly, Oct 1, 2012
  4. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer sometimes sleeps under the blanket - under his favourite, green blanket to be exact - but he does it only in winter, when even at home is pretty cold. He never gets under it by himself though, I need to cover him and he always bites me when I try, but if I succeed, he seems happy and falls asleep almost instantly.

claudine, Oct 2, 2012
  5. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Aww. Ours likes sleeping on towels, too. Actually, he will sleep on just about anything that isn't only the floor. We have special towels for the cat, but not for him. He'll claim anything as his own.

Jessi, Oct 2, 2012
  6. Jessi

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

At first we used the towels for multiple things but as they started to fade and wear out, we just used them for the dog. We keep them in the hallway closet so they're close to the bedroom. I haven't put her on the bed lately because of fleas, but we're eradicating that problem Saturday.

pilot2fly, Oct 2, 2012
  7. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

Oh, yes indeedy! I've mentioned it before. Misha always sleeps under the blankets. Even today when it's close to 90F, she's under the blanket. I rarely see her on top of the blankets even in the Summer.

My brother's Mini Pinschers take it one step further. They like to sleep in the human bed but down at the foot of bed. So, the blankets are tucked in and they are asleep just beyond your feet under all the blankets. I'm surprised they can breath, but these small terrier breeds have burrowing in their blood.

Melody, Oct 2, 2012
  8. Jessi

Nick87 Well-Known Member

One of my dogs will unmake your bed just to be able to sleep under the blankets, and he loves laying his head on his pillow. He sleeps like he's people :)

Nick87, Oct 9, 2012
  9. Jessi

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Yes all of our dogs loved blankets. They also loved diving into laundry fresh out of the dryer. With the blankets, we would often tuck them in, but they could pull the blankets over themselves too. They had a little routine where they would spin around several times and knock it around with their paws till it kind of formed like a nest. Then they would climb down into it.

OhioTom76, Oct 9, 2012
  10. Jessi

lizzie29 Member

My dog gets cold easily so she loves it when we surround her with pillows and cover her up with a blanket. Although, she loves her favorite stuffed animal, Koala, the most! It's just so adorable when I see her climb up on my bed then puts Koala right next to her. :p She usually does this when she's really cold. I also find my auntie's dog, Lady, really cute when she covers herself up with blankets.

lizzie29, Oct 9, 2012
  11. Jessi

Just look at this dog, he is so adorable, I'm sure he is having sweet dreams:

[​IMG]

Today Homer was barking because his blanket fall off of the couch - he wanted me to pick it and to wrap him with it:D

claudine, Feb 27, 2013
  12. Jessi

shdws Well-Known Member

See here's my problem, I've tried blankets with my dog, but he just tears them apart. He even tore his bed up. :mad:

shdws, Feb 28, 2013
  13. Jessi

Wow, then he must be really strong, my Homer is only able to tear up a tissue - and he does it very willingly:p . I wonder why dogs enjoy destroying things so much:p

claudine, Feb 28, 2013
  14. Jessi

Lex Active Member

None of my pups have ever slept under blankets, though they're all very willing to sleep on the bed. That being said, my grandmother, on my father's side, had a whole litter of dachshunds that loved to sleep under the blankets; a whole litter! They would get under the blankets at the head of the bed, and then burrow all the way to the foot of the bed!

Lex, Mar 4, 2013
  15. Jessi

Lol, this is so cute, I'm sure it looked very funny:D . But how were they breathing? I always feel like I was going to suffocate when I cover myself completely with a blanket. This is why I always check if Homer's head is on the blanket, not under it.

claudine, Mar 4, 2013
  16. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

Claudine, that is very cute! The more blankets the better for Misha. I've worried at times that she might suffocate, but she wants to be covered completely. I read somewhere that Jack Russells were bred for burrowing to chase rodents. No chasing rodents...LOL

Shdws, Misha only chews on one blanket. It's the one that sits in her bed in her tent. I threw out her old one when I thought she was beyond that stage. But, the other day, I pulled out the newer, thin blanket and it's full of Swiss cheese holes. I don't even want to think of where all the material went. (Seems she is able to digest it...sigh...)

OhioTom, Misha is the same way. I washed my bedding today. When I got it out of the dryer, she was like a magnet. Despite her 10 lbs., she makes it quite difficult to make the bed when she is cuddling in the blankets.

Melody, Mar 4, 2013
  17. Jessi

Homer sometimes insist on sticking his little head under a blanket and then we always fight because I worry...do you think I can let him sleep the way he wants?
    I heard Yorkshire Terriers were bred for killing rats in England:p

claudine, Mar 6, 2013
  18. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any problem with letting a dog sleep under blankets. They seem to be able to breath quite well in this situation. My brother's Mini Pinschers like to sleep inside the bed covers at the foot of the bed where it is tucked in.

What I do is I remove Misha's collar at bed time. That way she can't get caught on anything in all her blankets.

Melody, Mar 6, 2013
  19. Jessi

Homer doesn't even have a collar so it's not a problem. Ok, next time I'll let him sleep like he wants, but for sure I'll sit next to him to watch him and to make sure everything is okay. I know, I'm overprotective:p

claudine, Mar 6, 2013
  20. Jessi

rdahl125 Member

Of course! My dog loves to get under the blankets and snuggle with me, and she gets there entirely by herself. Sometimes I'll fall asleep with her next to me on top of the blankets and wake up to find that she's crawled under them to be closer and warmer. It's so cute!

rdahl125, Mar 8, 2013
Ask a Question