Silly things you do to get what you want from your dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 31, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Okay, I know that I am not the only one who has come up with crazy ways to make my dog do what I want. Misha is a strange dog as you all have noticed ;) She becomes submissive if you make a long, deep "oooooohhhhh" sound. She will stop in her tracks, bend her head to the ground, and offer you a paw as if she is injured.

Today, she did one of those frustrating things first thing in the morning. While I did dookie duty, she rolled in the grass. As we came up the steps to get breakfast, I noticed black smudges on her left side. I have no idea what it was. I'm hoping mud.

She gets freaked out sometimes when you bring a towel to wipe her. I've gotten her to where she'll let me wipe her feet without complaining, but not other body parts. So, I grabbed the leash, the towel, and she panicked. I didn't know what to do so began making that oooh sound. She immediately became submissive! She showed her teeth a bit while I was wiping, but allowed me to do it. It's a breatkthrough! I don't care how silly it looks if it works.

What silly or unusual things have you done that work with your dog?

Melody, May 31, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I sometimes dance in front of our dog just to make him "up".
    Then we will be dancing together while I am holding his feet up of course. LOL
    That was fun and cute moment. :p

zararina, Jun 1, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Good thing my dogs are easily motivated by food and treats. I wouldn't need to make use of the "oooh" sound to make them submit. I find it cute how Misha acts. Bottom line is, you get things done that way right?;)

Doesn't she get motivated by food? I mean, aren't most dogs' attention easily obtained by waving a good smelling treat in the air?

I bet she considers your "Ooohhh" sound a low rumbling growl which is why she immediately lowers her head in submission.

haopee, Jun 1, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, Yes, Misha is motivated by food. She'll do most things for food. But, she is a fearful dog so sometimes food is not enough. Also, sometimes bringing food into the situation makes it worse. She will get so excited and jump around that I can't do what I want.

I never thought that "oooohhh" could represent a growl. That is an interesting. I bet that is what she thinks. It might be similar to how a mother dog corrects her little ones. I wonder what the Vet would think if I give her instructions to "oooohhh" next time I bring Misha in?

Melody, Jun 2, 2012
  5. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog gets motivated by foods too specially if its bread since it is his favorite food.
    He even do his own tricks when it was already feeding time like turning around several times and jumping high as he was so excited. :p

zararina, Jun 3, 2012
  6. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I never knew that the "oooohhh" sound can have such an effect. Myself, I normally use a low growl as a warning sound. Well, actually more of a "harumph" than a growl.

Victor Leigh, Jun 4, 2012
  7. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

LOL. That would sound peculiar. On second thought, they may consider it! After all, most vet talk to dogs in attempt to soothe them, right?They say stuff like "See, that wasn't so bad." or "Don't worry, it'll be gone soon." or "Gooooood boy!". What's makes "Ooooh" so different? It's still talking to dogs, right? At least "Ooooh" has a higher chance of being recognized by the dog compared to "Don't worry" or "Please stop moving." :p

Yes, my dog Coal does that too. It seriously drives me crazy because they don't do it on cue. They only do tricks when they see you holding the goods. It's like the cue is the treat itself and not what you say.

haopee, Jun 4, 2012
  8. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I used the words that make his ears perk. It doesn't matter what he's doing or freaking out over, if you say the words "hungry," he'll flip around and cock his head to the side. Sometimes I do it just for fun...or use words that are similar like "hundred" because it's adorable, lol. Even if he ate within the last 2 minutes, it's such an automatic response that he can't help it.

Jessi, Jun 7, 2012
Ask a Question