Sign of a bad breeder?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by jowjo5, Feb 17, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

I have a gal who lives just down the road who was and still is breeding dogs to sell the puppies. I don't know much about breeding so this may not seem as harsh I am am thinking it is.

In talking with her she told me she had two liters born at the same time from two different females. Big time work if you ask me. But she kept on mentioning how much she sells them for.

So I asked her about how it was going one day after our first conversation and she said "better, I sold the first liter". Even though I am not a breeder I do know they were too young, like maybe two weeks old. So I asked how did she do that aren't they still nursing"? She flatly stated she sold the mom as well with the liter. Really? Is this common?

Maybe breeders look at the moms at animals and not pets? Like I said, I know nothing about breeding animals, so maybe this is the norm?

Is this normal? And I guess the fact that she told me how much she made after was really the part I don't get. Seems like it is all about the money.

Is this normal and I am just an ignorant dog lover?

jowjo5, Feb 17, 2013
  2. jowjo5

trishgl Well-Known Member

I suppose its like raising chickens for their eggs. You don't grow attached to the eggs right? Or the chicken for that matter. I guess when you breed dogs for a living its more about the dollars and cents rather than warm fuzzy feelings. It's not that they are heartless people just that, that's the way the business goes.

trishgl, Nov 24, 2013
  3. jowjo5

zararina Well-Known Member

Based on your post, she seems to be just after the money and she is not attached to the dogs or dogs. Her main reason is to earn and not just pet them. But I hope she treats the dog right and still can be called as a good breeder.

zararina, Nov 24, 2013
  4. jowjo5

claudine Well-Known Member

I know I couldn't be a breeder. I can't help it, I instantly grow attached to little puppies and I feel very protective of them. I wouldn't be able to sell them.
    Anyway, the man from whom I bought Homer isn't the best breeder either. He transported my little cutie in a carton box and he forgot to take his food:(

claudine, Dec 2, 2013
  5. jowjo5

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, she's obviously an awful breeder! It's very easy to know because she's obviously letting her females dogs mate and get pregnant way to often, you should never do that! She's not a good breeder. A good breeder waits until the puppies are ready to be sold, and takes care of her female dogs. This woman sees those poor dogs as breeding machines that only exist to give her money.

Trellum, Dec 25, 2013
Ask a Question