Siberian Husky is Over-protective with her Puppies

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Andrea Smith, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Andrea Smith

Andrea Smith Member

I'm a bit disappointed and worry about what what happened to my Mom 2days ago. My cousin own a siberian husky that gave birth to 3 cute litte puppies a week ago. Upon checking on the basket where the babies are resting the 5 years old dog attacked my mom. Her top and jeans was torn and then their is a big scratch at her back. I and my brother honestly don't have an idea whethers its the claw or her teeth that wounded my mom. My aunt told me that my Mom doesn't need to get an anti-rabbies vaccine since the dog just got injected last year, but I immediately know and we rush her to the nearest clinic. Last night I have seen the bruises gets darker and Mom said that it hurts, I am now starting to panic I honestly don't know what to do. I few years ago our neighbor died because rabbies and I don't want the same situation to occur. BTW, the dog is still alive and she's moody. She's barking and chasing people from time to time especially when we are trying to check out her cute little babies. My Mom got traumatize about what happened and she doesn't to play with our own dogs anymore. Also a friend a mine told me that if the dog died four days after the biting incident then I should worry. Now, I really don't know how to calm down my mom and the kids are afraid of the dog.

Andrea Smith, Mar 13, 2017
  2. Andrea Smith

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

Siberian Huskies can be over-protective with their puppies, which is a natural maternal instinct. However, if this behavior becomes excessive or interferes with the well-being of the puppies or their socialization, it's essential to address it. Here are some tips:

1. Observe and Assess: Keep a close eye on the mother's behavior. Determine if her protectiveness is reasonable or if it's causing stress for the puppies.

2. Gradual Socialization: As the puppies grow, gradually introduce them to different people, animals, and environments. This can help them become well-adjusted adults.

3. Provide Space: Create a safe and comfortable area for the mother and puppies where they can feel secure but also have room to move and explore.

4. Positive Human Interaction: Spend time with the puppies to ensure they get used to human touch, voices, and presence. This can reduce the mother's protective instincts.

5. Consult a Trainer or Behaviorist: If the over-protectiveness persists or escalates, consider seeking guidance from a professional dog trainer or behaviorist experienced in working with Huskies.

6. Weaning: As the puppies get older, the mother's protectiveness may naturally decrease. The weaning process can also impact her behavior.
    Remember that some level of maternal protectiveness is normal and beneficial for puppies' safety. However, it's crucial to strike a balance that allows the puppies to develop social skills and adapt to different situations while ensuring their well-being. Always prioritize the safety and comfort of both the mother and her puppies.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Oct 23, 2023
Ask a Question