Shredding paper at night

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Skyspiritflfl, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Skyspiritflfl

Skyspiritflfl Member

Our adorable Ridgeback Pit mix baby girl Pepper The Magic Dog, she's 2 1/2 has now taken to a habit of finding and shredding paper at night - I believe she may have thought the paper to have been pieces of old rawhide and it was dark so like I can't really scold her. Anyway does this sound rebellion or just a simple mistake in the dark to other dog owners? Thank you.

Skyspiritflfl, Sep 6, 2014
  2. Skyspiritflfl

Trellum Well-Known Member

Maybe she is bored or anxious. Have you done anything new? Introduced new changes in the household or anything like that? Sometimes when we do something new, even the smallest changes the dogs tend to react in odd ways.

Trellum, Sep 6, 2014
  3. Skyspiritflfl

claudine Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I think she just wanted to play. My Homer loves shredding paper handkerchiefs. He used to do it all the time when he was a puppy;) Now, he prefers to destroy fir-cones.

claudine, Sep 7, 2014
  4. Skyspiritflfl

Skyspiritflfl Member

Thank you all for your comments. She seems better. I actually think she thought at first it was part of her rawhide, then when it tore, she just got carried away. She seems fine and she's calmed down a great deal now. We've also been getting out in the Sun more which she loves. We were going out more but then she pulled me down and I hurt myself, so now that that's healing - time to try again ;)

My husband started school, I can tell by the way she act when he comes home that she really missed him so that could have something to do with it as well when it comes to changes - thanks again.

Skyspiritflfl, Sep 10, 2014
  5. Skyspiritflfl

I'm happy to hear that everything is fine:) Some dogs are very sensitive. I'm sure she misses your husband very much! But don't worry, she'll get used to the new situation:)

claudine, Sep 11, 2014
  6. Skyspiritflfl

sushdawg Member

My 5 month old puppy does that constantly. We've had to make sure to never leave cardboard or paper at nose level or lower, or it's toast! We haven't ever put newspaper in her kennel, as some puppy trainers suggest, or I'm sure her kennel would be a torn disaster each morning. I think they probably like the feel and sound of it--I wouldn't necessarily scold, but I'd definitely take it away immediately and replace it with something positive like a toy they can chew on. If she does know "leave it," this would probably be a good thing to reinforce with it.

sushdawg, Mar 12, 2015
  7. Skyspiritflfl

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Ginger my new guest is doing the same thing and it's driving me crazy. I was using the paper to train her and at first I thought it was working perfectly. I was wrong. Now she wants to mostly shred it. I had to tell her no about four times already in the last few hours. I was not in time at least one time. I really need to get a handle on the situation.

Winterybella, Apr 3, 2015
  8. Skyspiritflfl

Sushdawg, Winterybella, don't worry, your puppies will grow out of it. My Homer did. Now, he's much calmer than he used to be and he doesn't destroy things he finds on the floor. LIttle puppies treat everything as toys.

claudine, Apr 3, 2015
  9. Skyspiritflfl

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Oh man, I rather Capone shreds paper than blanket and pillow! I just can't afford to keep replacing these two things every other week. He does a fantastic job of shredding that you can't even tempt to sew it back :)

IcyBC, Aug 2, 2015
Ask a Question