Should all dogs be microchipped?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 22, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

When Misha was spayed, my Vet included microchipping. I think it's a good idea to have done. It makes it easier for those shelters with scanners to reunited dogs with their owners.

Is your dog microchipped? Do you think that all dogs should be microchipped at a adoption (or whenever it is safe for the age)?

Melody, May 22, 2012
  2. Melody

King Browny Well-Known Member

You’re the first one that I know (directly) who has a dog micro chipped. Mind sharing how this thing works? Where do they usually put the microchip?

King Browny, May 23, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog was not micro-chipped and I think he never will.
    He do not want to go out and seems afraid to go outside since we adopted him (he used to be a stray dog).
    So, I do not think that chip is necessary. ;)

zararina, May 23, 2012
  4. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I don't think they have microchips available in my country. I don't think I'd have one placed on my little girl, if it's by surgical intervention...she's a stay-at-home pup, so the chances of the microchip being of use to me is quite unlikely.

NewDCD, May 23, 2012
  5. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Mine is. It wasn't by choice and was something required by the county at any point where a dog is taken into custody (whether for a dog bite, a stray, one gets loose, etc). I don't think it's a bad idea, by any means....we just hadn't even had it done or thought to do it. I think it should be done more often if at all possible.

Jessi, May 23, 2012
  6. Melody

Mystique Active Member

It is quite common where I live for dogs, even cats to have a microchip implanted in them. I think it's important, whether or not, your pet lives in the house. Even if it stays inside, there is a chance that it MIGHT somehow get away and with a microchip, it's easier for animal shelters to detect the owners.

My next-door neighbour's Jack Russell recently had a surgery and the vet suggested the microchip. After much consideration, they decided to get it done. Funnily enough, Spooch followed one of the big dogs out (which never happened before - as the kids next door are so protective of him) and if it weren't for the microchip, they wouldn't have gotten him back. I'm planning to get microchips for my cats soon, since my MIL is getting one for the puppy.

Mystique, May 24, 2012
  7. Melody

Ja'cobeC Member

I think microchipping dogs are a good idea. I do have my dog microchipped. Without that I believe my puppy, who is not used to roaming and coming back home alone, will be lost without knowing how to get home safely. In my neighborhood I see a lot of missing dog posters. I believe it should be mandatory to microchip a dog because too many are getting lost or just roaming around in people yards.

Ja'cobeC, May 25, 2012
  8. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is microchipped. Thanks to it, if somebody kidnaped him, I could prove that he is mine. It makes me feel a little safer. In my opinion every dog should be microchipped.

claudine, Jul 26, 2013
  9. Melody

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that all pet dogs and cats should be microchipped because they can't talk. A dog can't talk and say "I have a family, but I ran out the gate when it was left open." or "Someone threw me away because they got evicted."
    Since animals can't talk, microchipping is needed to find out what an animal's story is so that they can be reunited with their owner.

ACSAPA, Jul 29, 2013
Ask a Question