She's a great "catch"

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Some dogs are just naturals and Zola is one of them when it comes to catching things. Throw her anything and she'll catch it 8/9 times out of 10. Here mom on the other hand has about a 1 out of 10 success rate catching anything. Ginger is yet young and I am not sure about her skills just yet. It's clear that just like humans, some dogs are more skilled than others.

I got to reading on the subject and realised that I could probably teach the others. I found this link. informative in this regard.

https://www.doggiebuddy.com/topics/tricks/catch.html

Does your dog have these natural skills are did you have to teach him/her?

Winterybella, Apr 26, 2015
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Frida has never been too interested in catching and fetching for me :p But I have met dogs who were natural at it and loved it, like for example my mom's vicious dog. He loved to catch, but not so much to fetch. I tried playing with him several times as a kid, he'd bring the stuff back but growl at me if I tried to get it from him. Needless to say I stopped playing with him quick :p

Trellum, Apr 26, 2015
  3. Winterybella

My bigger dog Reba is better at fetching and Zola at catching. Those two stand out more as naturals. I wish I had more time to teach them all how to do more neat things. It was only this morning that Remy acciddntally caught sonething and I found it so entertainling.

Trellum, I perfectly understand how that growling fetcher would have scared you away....:)

Winterybella, Apr 26, 2015
  4. Winterybella

My frida is clumsy, lol, she doesn't fetch or catch, but there is one thing she is good catching... rats!! She is a schnauzer, so she has this big interest for rats, caching them and killing them! She spends the whole day in the yard, sniffing around and playing :) Some dogs have natural talents ;) Don't worry, once you retire you can =D

Trellum, Apr 27, 2015
  5. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is terrible at playing fetch, lol. Usually, he can't catch anything, he just barks and jumps. If he somehow manages to catch the toy, he doesn't want to give it back and always tries to bite the person who is playing with him:p

claudine, Apr 27, 2015
  6. Winterybella

Rats? Oh my God. I am horrified of them. Now you have me thinking my Ginger might be a fan. She always stays longer than the others to come when called to return indoors. Now you have me thinking rats and then biting my toes.:eek: Now I will keep a closer eye on her her. I feel like retiring at this very moment believe me.
    Then we will call Homer the barker, jumper who bites.

Winterybella, Apr 27, 2015
  7. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Haha, this describes him perfectly. He loves playing fetch, but he really doesn't understand the rules of the game. Whenever I throw him a cone or a stick, he barks at it, takes it and runs away, lol;)

claudine, Apr 28, 2015
  8. Winterybella

My frida is a standard schanuzer :) She has a very strong instinct (I believe) that pushes her to hunt rats. Don't worry, most dogs that catch a rat kill it. It's cat who might left a half dead mouse in the bed of their owners ;)

Trellum, Apr 28, 2015
  9. Winterybella

I find these dogs just love to stick their noses in everything which I know is normal dog behaviour. I would so freak out if I found out these were hunting rats. While I would love to know they are kept away, I'd be super scornful when my dogs want to get close and personal with me after a rat run. :eek: Zola doesn't like outside in the yard much so she is probably not into that stuff. Remy is such a scardey cat she might run from them. I am now learning about Ginger.

Winterybella, Apr 28, 2015
  10. Winterybella

Ahh you meant that!!! Hahahaha, I don't blame ya!!!!!!!!! I find it gross they try to go all kissy kissy after they are done with their rat hunting, it is gross. Fortunately I never let her outside, she sleeps with me. It was mostly during night time my other schnauzer caught rats, they rarely come out during the day.

Trellum, Apr 29, 2015
  11. Winterybella

Recently, I let the girls out to do their business and for some reason when I opened the door for them to come inside they took a long time especially Zola which never really happens. I went out and saw her sniffing around. First out of this rat conversation, you know all I kept wondering is whether or not there was something out there that caught her attention: something like a rat:rolleyes:.

About Zola, the new dog seems to be slowing her down or affecting her skills somehow and recently she did not catch about three treats. That never happens.

Winterybella, May 3, 2015
  12. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I used to have a dog named Cash. He was a boxer/German Shepard/mastiff. Some neighborhood brats thought it would be funny to throw ice at him. He caught every piece in his mouth. I was so proud!

LilAnn, Jun 2, 2015
  13. Winterybella

Well everything is back to normal the best "catcher" Zola continues to catch most things. I am also very please to report that Ginger the latest addition to the family is catching stuff as well. It is quite delightful to watch especially since she is so active. She misses sometimes but nothing like Remy. Remy caught sometime last week and it feels like perhaps the first time ever I saw that. I regret it was not on camera. She is my success story so I will try some more with her.

Winterybella, Jun 6, 2015
  14. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

What breed are they?

LilAnn, Jun 6, 2015
Ask a Question